Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Tinting Tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 12:12 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well, I was thinking about the VHT, but I don't think it would look good that the way the tail lights are kinda flush with the trunk and are set back into the car...lol ionno, but I'm gunna try something else that I have in mind that's suppose to be really good and only about $20

Old 04-20-2010, 12:32 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

They can easily be made as shiny as the rest of your car with some clear and rubbing compound.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:02 AM

Hm, touche on that one Enzo

Old 05-10-2010, 09:44 PM

a friend of minee baked his headlights and taillights and tinted them on the inside they looked really nice

Old 05-11-2010, 07:44 AM

here's my 2 cents:

i've read lots on vht niteshades cuz i wanted to do this myself also like all the others since it's the cheap solution. they may look good at first, but after a while i've heard multiple stories of the paint peeling and not holding up.

therefore, i then decided to have a bodyshop get them done. much better quality. maybe if your monte wasn't your daily driver and not exposed to the elements every day, you would be ok, but to each his own. in the end, i've always believed you get what you pay for...

in the end, i decided not to get them done at all as there is a law in MN against tinting headlights and taillights. not worth the hassle from the local police, just like tinting my windows. some or most cops may not even care, but if you're driving around late on a saturday night, speaking from experience, if they want to pull you over, they will find a reason. that's for sure!! plus, i thought it might hurt the re-sale of my car. maybe i'm just paranoid, but like i said, just my 2 cents.

Last edited by drewskie043; 05-11-2010 at 07:49 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:10 AM

Yeah i have done the Nite shades on my tail lights. i did about 4 coats and i also roll around the streets of MN and i have yet to get stopped for them. In the daytime you can have covers on tail/headlights legally but at night the light shines through the tail lights so well that you cant even tell the difference. I just got pulled over last monday for speeding and he didnt say a word about the lights. i thought for sure he was going to... It is all up to how they are feeling that day though most likely. cuz if they wanna be dicks then they will look for anything they can!

Old 05-11-2010, 09:33 PM

My take on the VHT Nightshades:

I have seen some tail lights that have been tinted with the Nightshades and it just looks dull and tacky to me. Therefore I chose to tint both tail lights and the third brake light on my 06 with Nighshades, however I went the extra mile and treated the Nightshades as a base/clear setup and waited treated the Nightshades as my basecoat, spraying on three light coats. Then I waited for it to flash off and sprayed my clear on top of that. The end product turned out glossy, tinted, and very nice.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:41 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 06MONTECARLOLT
My take on the VHT Nightshades:

I have seen some tail lights that have been tinted with the Nightshades and it just looks dull and tacky to me. Therefore I chose to tint both tail lights and the third brake light on my 06 with Nighshades, however I went the extra mile and treated the Nightshades as a base/clear setup and waited treated the Nightshades as my basecoat, spraying on three light coats. Then I waited for it to flash off and sprayed my clear on top of that. The end product turned out glossy, tinted, and very nice.
+1 Clear can make anything shiney, if you just sprayed a car with a base coat of course its gonna be dull.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:13 AM

Yeah you gotta use clear on them, it will make them both shiny and more durable

Old 05-13-2010, 04:13 PM

I tinted my tail lights & I think it looks 100% better. I fine-sanded them down first to reduce paint chipping. I didn't bother clear coating them because I liked the matte look to them. Very easy & inexpensive mod

Quick Reply: Tinting Tail lights