FWD Tech Guides '95-'07 Guides/How-To information for FWD Montes 1995-2007

Mod Guide: How To: Custom Shift Boot

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 08:51 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default How To: Custom Shift Boot

Please bear with me as this is my first (hopefully upon many) How To.

Disclaimer:
This specficaly relates to the 5th gen monte, I'm sure it will work on others, but you alo may have to modify some steps as the procss of manufacturing has changed though the years

I'm sure you ave all seen my Crown Royal shift boot

Here, I will show you how to make one like t from your own choice of bag

Tools and Supplies Needed
1) a shift boot from a pontic Grand Am Grand Prix, or other car with a floor shifter
2)Flat head and phillips screwdriver
3) bag of your choice (Be Creative)
4) Scissors or a razor blade
Step 1: Removing Shift Bezel

Place car into D or lower setting
Using a flathead screwdriver, pry the pin holding the shift **** on out and remove the shift **** ( it may tke some power to get it off, just be patient though, It will come off)

Lift on rear part of bezel, I could just use my fingertips on mine, so you may or may not need to use the flathead screwdriver. push down on the front and pull the bezel out of its slot, unplugging the cgar lighter and little indicator light, Place car back in park and remove the key as not to kill the battery.

Step 2: Disassenbly
The undersde of your shift bezel may be a bit nasty due to years of neglect (and a spilled coke or two) No worries, Just simply use some armor all and a rag and clean it all up.
Flip the bezel over and remove the 6 retaining screws that hold it together.
It should just pull apart now.Go ahead and clean the gunk again from inside the assembly.

(Note: Wile you have the bezel apart, you can take som florescent spray paint and repaint the little orange shift indicator, its just a little plastic card that slips into place and it can dry while you are finishing this install)

Step 3: The Boot
Take the shift boot and cut the bottom of it out exposing a wire ring,you need this wire ring

Step 4: The Bag
Take the bag you have and cut a hol in the very bottom of it, making sure it is from one side to another, If it has a logo, yo want the logo to show, not make it to where it looks tacky. I cut mine about 3". Be careful not to make the hole too big as to make this install not work.

Place the wire ring into the bag centering it around the hole.

Step 5: Reassembly
The on the shift bezel, remove the plastic spacers so the ring will fit into place leaving the center one with te hold for your shift indicator.
Gently and patiently put the bezel back together wit the new boot in th shifter slot of the black piece being careful not to break anything as it is a very brittle plastic, and put your screws in loosly at first so you can position everything. (you may need to pull the bag around the edges to ensure a good fit)

Tighten down all of the screws, not too tight though you don't want to break anything. (Note: I staggered as I tightened them to apply even pressure al around not putting too much strain on the plastic)

Reversing the process of step 1, place the new boot and bezel into your car being sure the shift indicator is over the shift lever.
Using the pin, Poke a hole in the top of the boot and place the pin back into the shoft ****. (This will ensure it stays where its supposed to whe you are out and about and you dont have to keep fiddling with it.)

Step 6:Showing it off to your friends
As e title states, you wouldn't believe the comments I have received about this mod from friends and other car enthusiasts.

Please comment and at least let me know how I did on my first How To, I wold like to do more as I am always looking for ways to improve on all Manufacturer designs.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:17 PM

i like how your bag has monte carlo on it. my question is, was it from a pint,m or a fifth?

Old 10-24-2010, 04:08 AM

Im not too sure about what the crown royal bag was from because I don't drink, I actually found it and decided to clean it up and go to town. I do know, however, that it IS rather small.

The monte carlo boot is actually from an expensive ceiling fan
http://www.farreys.com/ceiling_fans/...ition_fan.html

I actually found this" accessories bag as well... it is much larger than the crown bag.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:21 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

Good How to Seems like you covered everything

Old 10-25-2010, 05:54 AM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year

Nice write up! You don't see a whole lot of shift boots for automatics. I like it.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:25 AM
Monte Of The Month -- December 2010
Monte Of The Month -- November 2014

Great job! Very interesting and original idea!

Old 10-25-2010, 09:10 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Nice idea!

Old 11-22-2010, 11:59 AM

This is funny but very informative. iNeed to replace my shift **** bkuz the button popped out and broke. Kan still shift if iPut my finger into the opening where the button used to be but iAm definitely going to replace it asap. Just didnt know how to get it out b4. Thanx

Old 01-20-2011, 04:07 PM

Just installed the MOMO chrome and blakk shift **** in my 01 "Gorgeous" looks really sleek and shift great. No problems at all. Was fairly easy to install.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:00 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by labeledandknown
Just installed the MOMO chrome and blakk shift **** in my 01 "Gorgeous" looks really sleek and shift great. No problems at all. Was fairly easy to install.
pics?

Quick Reply: Mod Guide: How To: Custom Shift Boot