Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Scratched Glass - Fixable - Difficult?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 10:19 AM
Default Scratched Glass - Fixable - Difficult?

So I always noticed a scratch on my driver's side window, and I was wondering if b/c of this I should not get my windows tinted (might become more noticeable. I decided to do it anwyay, b/c I've always wanted the tint and I'm not dropping $200 on a new piece of glass just for some scratches.

Anyway, I got the tint done yesterday and it is SICK (I'll post picks after this weekend hopefully), but I was wondering about trying to repair the scratches. I noticed that both pieces of glass on teh left side are scratched up pretty good. There are long verticle scratches. I think this came from the dealer's car wash b/c the first time they ran it through there I noticed a swirlly scratch just below the qtr glass on the left side...

Anyway, back to my point....

Has anyone tried to buff out scratches in glass? a quick google search lead me to read that you can just use either jewlers compound (can't remember the actual name), rubbing compound, or even whitening toothpaste. Does anyone know if this is hard, dangerous (to the glass), or anything else? I'm going to try and get that nasty @$$ scratch on my hood buffed out this weekend that you all helped me analyze and I never posted pics of, so I was thinking maybe I shoudl try and hit the glass too.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:34 AM
Default RE: Scratched Glass - Fixable - Difficult?

I believe most auto parts stores carry glass polishing/buffing kits.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:24 PM

Hi `Matt,
Sorry to read your post about your windows getting
scratched on your beautiful Monte Carlo SS : (
Did you talk to your dealer about the scratches ?
Below are some links that may help.
Good Luck, from `Space
Do it yourself: how to repair auto glass scratches
You can buy expensive glass scratch remove kits that sometimes have limited ... Automotive:Repair >> Do it yourself: how to repair auto glass scratches ...
www.essortment.com/hobbies/diyhowtorepai_sggt.ht... - 12k - Similar pages
http://www.essortment.com/hobbies/di...repai_sggt.htm
Windshield Repair Kits :: Glass Scratch Removal :: Headlight...
Leading Manufacturer of windshield repair kits, auto glass repair supplies, glass scratch removal and repair. Providing the windshield repair industry with ...
www.gtglass.com/ - 13k - Similar pages
http://www.gtglass.com/

Glass Scratch Removal and Glass Scratch Repair
Scratch Magic. For the Do-it-yourself person. Repair minor scratches and hard water stains on most glass surfaces. (Auto glass,furniture, picture windows, ...
www.gtglass.com/site/scratch_removal.html - 14k - Similar pages
[ [URL=http://aolsearch.aol.com/aol/search?invocationType=moreResultsFrom.search&q uery=+site%3Awww.gtglass.co

Old 05-23-2008, 01:08 PM

As always thanks for the tips and info guys! I'm going to take a look at all thsi info.

No I did not talk to the dealer about it. I just recently noticed how bad it really is as I was looking at it for the tint purposes. I have long given up on the dealer I bought it from too. I no longer work near them and as wonderful as they had been, the last two things I asked them to fix under the warranty (you may recall my wiper coming to rest hard post) they claimed they could not fix/justify fixing, so I took it to a dealership by my house and they made everythign perfect without any fuss. Also after they said they would fix my rust spot behind the qtr glass, then later said they would only airbrush paint over top of the rust, I said "forget them" and am having this same dealer by my house properly repair the rust spot under warranty on Tuesday.