Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Remove Water Spots + `Tar : (

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 06:54 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Thumbs up Remove Water Spots + `Tar : (

How 2 Eliminate Water Spots
on your AweSome Monte Carlo

Get rid of them before they ruin your paint & glass

autoMedia.com<~Source : )

Water should be a fairly harmless liquid. After all, we drink it, we bath in it and we even use water to wash our vehicles, so how bad could it be? The answer to that question depends on where you live and the minerals that are present in the local water supply. For example, the water in the Southwestern portion of the U.S. is full of hard mineral deposits that will literally etch themselves into paint and window glass if they are left on your vehicle for an extended period of time. Lawn sprinklers are the worst. Leave your vehicle where it gets water-spotted by the sprinklers, then baked by the sun, and the spots are not only difficult to remove, but they may do irreparable damage as well.

Offense, Defense
Like most problems, the best defense is a good offense. In this case, keeping a good coat of wax on your paint and window glass (that's right, use a glass wax) is the first line of defense against acid rain or water-spot etching. The second line of defense is to act fast to remove any water spots that may get on your vehicle. Time is relative. If you have a dark-colored vehicle and it stays out in the bright sun, you have less time to deal with the problem than a white vehicle in overcast conditions. It all has to do with surface temperature—the hotter it is, the tougher the water spots are to remove.

Removing water spots is fairly easy if you catch them soon enough. Re-washing your vehicle won't do a thing. Instead, mix up a solution of 1/2 distilled water and 1/2 distilled white vinegar in a spray bottle and carry it in your vehicle along with a soft, clean cloth. When you notice water spots, move the vehicle into the shade, let the surface cool down, spray the paint with this water/vinegar solution and wipe it off with the soft, clean cloth. The spots should come right off. Your waxed surface may be dulled by this solution, so apply a coat of wax when you get the chance

If you don't like the smell of vinegar and don't mind spending more money, commercial water-spot removers are available at most boat shops. They work the same way: Just spray the surface down and wipe off with a clean cloth. (I've found the white vinegar just as effective and a lot less expensive.) What if the water spots have gone too far and actually etched the clear coat of your paint or the window glass? More drastic measures are called for. For window glass, try a good dry scrubbing with 000-grade steel wool to remove the spots without damaging the glass. If that doesn't do the job, then the windows will have to be polished with a commercially available glass polish and a power buffer.

Because today's water-based paints are very delicate (especially the clearcoat), you'll want to experiment with the least-aggressive polish available. Try hand-polishing with a cleaner-type liquid wax. If the spots persist, then have a professional buff the surface with a fine polishing compound and machine buffer. Follow with a good hand waxing. Today's clearcoats are very soft and thin, so make sure that everyone who attacks water spots with a power buffer knows what they're doing. Ideally, you'll keep the water/vinegar "first aid kit" handy so that the water damage will never get to this point.
Good Luck
Hope it helped

Clean it again `Space

Last edited by Space; 07-06-2009 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:19 PM

Preserving Your Car Finish with a Bug and Tar Remover

Keeping a good bug and tar remover on hand is one way to ensure you will be able to keep your car in good condition throughout the summer season.
Summer is a great time for travel, but unfortunately, it is also the time of year when asphalt and bugs are the most likely to build up on your car. If you have ever driven through a construction site with fresh asphalt, you know how frustrating it can be knowing that you will have to get that gunk off somehow. Keeping a good bug and tar remover on hand is one way to ensure you will be able to keep your car in good condition throughout the summer season.

Road trips are great, but the inevitable bug buildup is not. It is an unfortunate aspect of car travel that bugs will end up on your windshield, grill, and headlights. While the windshield wipers provided at gas stations do a fair job at removing built up bug, they often do not do a great job. Additionally, the cleaning solution is often so dirty that adds more grime rather than remove it. Cleaning your grill and headlights is also difficult with the wiper provided at the gas station, and the next people in line may not be too keen on waiting for you to finish.

A home product specifically designed to remove road tar can combat both the construction and bug buildup issues. In addition to tar, your car can attract pieces of asphalt, tire rubber, grease, and oils. The sooner you are able to remove these from your car, the better it is for the finish. These elements stick to your cars surface firmly, and a regular cleansing routine is often not enough to combat the problem. To remove stain, tar, and bugs, you need a much stronger cleaning agent one that is made for these elements.

Solvents are agents that are capable of dissolving other substances. A bug and tar remover will dissolve the oils and grime on your car so that you can easily wipe it off. But and tar removers are solvents that will remove the tar without removing the finish on your car. This is important, because as you probably already know, some solvents are designed to remove paint and other chemicals (think turpentine). When using these types of solvents, it is important that you read and follow directions carefully. Some products are considered hazardous and require special handling. Also, of course, keep these products out of the reach of children and away from direct heat.

Removing bug from your car also requires a special agent such as a bug and tar remover. While a squished bug looks innocent, it can actually cause a bit of damage to your finish. The tiny bits of exoskeleton can make tiny scratches in your finish that can become larger scratches or rust.

Bugs also deposit acidic fluids on your car, and most everyone knows how damaging acid can be! Bugs on your car become a chemical mix that is firmly attached, requiring a chemical process for complete removal. Definitely more of a job than the gas station wipers can handle!

A bug and tar remover product will make it much easier to clean those difficult areas as well. The design of your grill is great for keeping the radiator and engine cool, but it is also perfectly designed for trapping a large collection of bugs. A wiper cannot get into the nooks and crannies of the grill, but a good solvent can quickly remove road tar and bugs in those hard to reach areas. This is the same for your headlights. The curved shapes make it difficult to reach all the buildup without the use of a cloth and a quality solvent. When using a bug and tar remover on your finish, avoid excessive scrubbing and wiping. Allow enough time for the bug and tar remover to work. Depending on how thick the buildup, this may take a bit of time. However, the solvent will dissolve the grime without scratching, whereas scrubbing on your part can cause damage. Use a soft terry cloth to wipe the bug and grime clean after the solvent has set on the problem area. If needed, repeat the procedure to remove stain, tar, and other buildup.

Following a treatment to remove road tar, you will need to re-wax your car to fill in the damaged areas and prevent further harm. Remove the bug stain, tar, and other elements with a bug and tar remover, and then thoroughly wash your car with a cleaning agent designed for cars. Dry your car using 100% cotton towels, and apply a car wax product. This will help ensure that any future run-ins with bugs and tar will not create too much damage.

__________________________________________________ __

Member's Post what you use for Tar ?

Last edited by Space; 05-07-2010 at 05:56 AM.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:38 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've noticed that the soap from the Mr. Clean Autodry does a decent job of removing bugs and small tar spots. Not the best, but pretty good for a car wash soap.

I use the Mr. Clean Auto Dry car wash soap by itself in a bucket of fresh, clean water. And wash the car by hand with a lamb's wool wash mitt. I wash the mitt in the washing machine after each car wash to get rid of any embedded dirt particles.

The Mr. Clean soap does a nice job of cleaning the dirt off the car with very little residue.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:37 AM

Did you get the water spots `off your Monte ?
Did you wax your Monte this Year ?
What did you use ?
Thanks

Old 05-10-2010, 03:21 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

Great thread 'Space! I absolutely hate water spots! There is this product I just found (I'll try to find the link in a sec) that you can spray to get rid of water spots. I havent had a prob with tar on my car yet but my mom had tar on the bottom of her car a while ago, cant remember how we got it off though. && bugs I get off of with a fabric softener sheet, usually works great while i'm washing the car.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:24 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

A good ol' claybar takes car of a lot.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:40 PM
Default bugs.......

..A while back; I started a thread called " I'm Bugged" that dealt with this issue. Dryer sheets ( wet ) was the overall answer to removing bugs and tough road grime. Well, it hasn't worked to well on mine so far. I've even used a scowering pad with a dryer sheet over it and lightly gone over those areas. Paint is still fine but the embedded bug stains are still there.......... That is why I've ordered a bra for the front. I will only use it when I take long road trips with it. I may have to have the bumper cover and lip repainted some day....

Old 05-13-2010, 11:02 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2010
Monte Of The Month -- July 2013
IT HERTZ
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

great tips man fo sure

Old 05-16-2010, 04:55 PM

If you don't like the smell of vinegar and don't mind spending more money, commercial water-spot removers are available at most boat shops. They work the same way: Just spray the surface down and wipe off with a clean cloth. (I've found the white vinegar just as effective and a lot less expensive.) What if the water spots have gone too far and actually etched the clear coat of your paint or the window glass? More drastic measures are called for. For window glass, try a good dry scrubbing with 000-grade steel wool to remove the spots without damaging the glass. If that doesn't do the job, then the windows will have to be polished with a commercially available glass polish and a power buffer.

the steel wool you recommended shouldn't scratch the windows any, right? :x The back window on our monte is filled with water spots

Old 05-17-2010, 09:02 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

If you do a very fine grade wool 000 or 0000 and keep the window very saturated while using it you won't scratch anything. Don't push hard either.