Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Hard Water Spots

Old 08-22-2009, 11:40 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Hard Water Spots

So I just got done detailing my Monte...Washed, Waxed, cleaned the inside, and conditioned the leather....it looks great except for one thing...HARD WATER SPOTS.

About 4 days ago the entire front end of my car got nailed by the sprinklers at a retail shopping center while I was out eating dinner. So I made a point to wash it this weekend to get them off. Well most of them came off, but on the top of my hood (mind you, freshly painted 3 weeks ago) there is still some traces of water spots...more like faint rings on the hood...I tried cleaners wax, then used some meguires ultimate compound, then rewaxed, and there are still these traces that you can see when its in direct sunlight, or parked in the garage with the lights on...geerrr.

So my question is...What the hell can I do to get these damn water spots of my fresh paint job???? PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks Everyone!

Old 08-23-2009, 07:39 AM

Hi Michael, I would check with the paint shop that painted your Monte b-4 you attempt the below.

The Bum's & I use the below & it works great on every car
that we've had or detailed. Good Luck, but do your homework.
Let us know what you decide to do...`ok
Below surface (etched) water spots- are caused by acid rain or industrial fallout causing a chemical reaction, if left for any length of time they will etch the paint film surface leaving a concave circular mark.
Etched water spots are one of the most difficult paint defects to remove so be patient as it will probably take more then one attempt to remove them.

1a) Removing surface water spots from paint film surface-
Methodology
·Use detailing clay to remove any `hard' surface granules
·To dissolve the alkaline-based, surface/etched mineral water deposits try one or more of the following;
1) 2:1 solution of distilled water/distilled white vinegar
2) Distilled water/Isopropyl Alcohol (adjust ratio as required)
3) Equal parts distilled water/distilled white vinegar/Isopropyl alcohol.
·Use a clean spray bottle and 100% cotton micro fibre cloth to apply the solution to the paint surface
·Wipe off any residue from the paint surface and dry with a damp waffle weave towel
·If any `water spots' remain apply distilled white vinegar or Isopropyl alcohol un-diluted to a 100% cotton micro fibre towel, using a medium/heavy pressure on glass surface, for stubborn spots use an abrasive polish as in (1b)

1b) Removing etched water (below surface) spots from paint-
Methodology
·These can be removed by using detailer's clay to remove any hardened surface deposits
·Then using a machine polish, Iz einzett TM Metallic Polish or Iz einzett TM Paint Polish and a cutting (LC Orange or Yellow) foam pad (speed # 4) to level the surface
·Work on a very small area at a time (2-foot x 2-foot) until the polish has run out
·Repeat this process two or three times, as necessary
·Reapply surface protection once spots have been removed.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:42 AM

Hi Michael,
Below is a thread I made on the Subject
Check it out below....Good Luck
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/sh...ht=Water+Spots

Old 08-23-2009, 01:52 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hey Space...Thank you...I was kinda thinking of clay bar, or even the alcohol thing...And i've heard of Vinegar...I will check first though. Thanks for the info.