Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

paint overspray removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 09:24 PM
Default RE: paint overspray removal

I just did my buddy truck.

We used water down spray 9 and a tooth brush. then clay bar it then wax. That is all

Please dont reply and say that spray nine is harmful for the paint, it aint.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:29 PM

im useing the regual terry app pad and a wool buff pad.
after clay baring the whole car and also doing the polishing and waxing i foudn this on the fron of the car right infront of windsheild about where a ant. would be on any other car but on the drivers side.

I have had great luck over the years with the hitempt. but could not remeber the site and when i tried to look it up it didnt look the same so they might have just changes thier packaging also. who knows after being in Germany and having nothign there to use tha tyou could read it was nice to find anythign on the shelf LOL

As far as the PRO. Opinion i was never in doubt of your opnion weather your 18 or a 180.
If you like to do it your way feel free do it that way. We are all correct in this thing it is just a diffrence on how your car would be done over mine.

Mine is a daily driver also it has seen snow, rain, hurricanes and even salt off the roads and im sure several other things i would rather not know about to include bird crap.

But i treat it the way i do becuse i enjoy having a car that stands out against another white monte carlo SS of the same year.
I also like to look in to the side of my car and see a reflection that i can read a soda can out of just becus ei knwo most folks do not go to that extent for thier cars.
But then agian most folks dont get top dollar on a car when they want to trade it in either.

I have been offerd up to 14,000.00 for mine and 12,000.00 for trade in . This is not the typical trade values of a 03 SS.
I have also had them swear it was a diffrent year then it is and would not belive it was not the year i said till they ran the Vin Numbers. This was due to the shape of the car.

And i also can rasie the hood on my car and it still is relativly clean where by this millage and time for most it is cover with dust or dirt or grease etc....

so were all correct i tend to maybe do over kill on mine but to me it is worth it in my eyes.
nothign against how you do it or i or even chris or Rich. but i have done detailing for auto dealerships. i have done body work and also painted cars. when i was younger and tried real hard to learn from whom i thought was the best in thier feilds in my area.

So belive me i know how you feel about having to bust a set of doors down and not ahve them come in the right way . I used to do it to and belive me it is not the best of day for any one LOL

But any way. back to the org. post .
All are correct ways to do it. so chose your poison and go for it.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:31 PM

amen to that mickey d00d, finally some order to chaos

Old 05-13-2008, 10:25 PM

ORIGINAL: bonang

I just did my buddy truck.

We used water down spray 9 and a tooth brush. then clay bar it then wax. That is all

Please dont reply and say that spray nine is harmful for the paint, it aint.
what's this spray 9 stuff you're talking about, it sounds interesting. What's it's intended use? How much does it cost? How did you guys use it on the truck detail?

Old 05-13-2008, 10:43 PM

surely this isnt what you're reffering to

http://www.spraynine.com/

Old 05-14-2008, 04:49 AM

Yes sir. Took off two yr old overspray on his fender and bed cover. Been about two months and no issues with the paint. Of course we sprayed it on used a tooth brush and sprayed off the body panel and washed it right away. We then used Mothers clay bar, and then cleaner wax..,.....

Old 05-14-2008, 05:34 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

That stuff looks interesting. Dont know if I would be brave enough to try it myself, maybe if I saw someone use it. I guess if it worked for you then it cant be that bad.

04, I completely get what you are saying and I agree with you. There is a right way to do something and a quick and easy way to do something. For this instance, the quick and easy way would be better IMO because of the location and the fact its a daily driver. I would do the same on my car, but needless to say I probably wouldnt get out the compound and do the same say, right in the middle of my hood or something. I would definately do it the correct way. Just working in a small bodyshop trains you to think, what will be the most efficient for the circumstances, and I just cant help thinking like that. You start thinking, what will cost less, save time, please the customer, and you always take into account whether or not you will ever see the repair. Im sure you, being a detailer, has a different mindset because of how you work on your project. Thats just how it is.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:06 AM

ORIGINAL: bonang

Yes sir. Took off two yr old overspray on his fender and bed cover. Been about two months and no issues with the paint. Of course we sprayed it on used a tooth brush and sprayed off the body panel and washed it right away. We then used Mothers clay bar, and then cleaner wax..,.....
wow, interesting process. sounds like some pretty strong stuff there, glad it worked out for you guys.

ORIGINAL: mrl390

04, I completely get what you are saying and I agree with you. There is a right way to do something and a quick and easy way to do something. For this instance, the quick and easy way would be better IMO because of the location and the fact its a daily driver. I would do the same on my car, but needless to say I probably wouldnt get out the compound and do the same say, right in the middle of my hood or something. I would definately do it the correct way. Just working in a small bodyshop trains you to think, what will be the most efficient for the circumstances, and I just cant help thinking like that. You start thinking, what will cost less, save time, please the customer, and you always take into account whether or not you will ever see the repair. Im sure you, being a detailer, has a different mindset because of how you work on your project. Thats just how it is.
I see where you're coming from. Both being professionals in our respective fields gives us unique perspectives as to how to deal with the problem, we both have our own way of approaching it but at the end of the day as long as the expected result is achieved then it's mission accomplished.

Since you're a body guy and while I have your attention, is the door molding on my car held on with double sided foam tape? I want to get rid of it but don't want holes left behind in my door.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:02 AM

As someonepointed out, my car is a daily driver, not a show car, so I generally want to have it looking reasonably good and to protect the paint, while not spending hours and hours of work on it several times a year.For general appearance care, my approach has been to use acleaner wax (Meguiar's is what I use now) onmy car2x/year, once in the spring and once in the fall, and that's all. I don't think I've ever used a separate polish and wax on any of my cars. Like I said, I like to keep things simple. I'm open to comments about that, though.

I forgot to mention in my OP that there is also atiny bit of overspray on the black molding around that small side window above the area we're talking about. Is there any way to get rid of that?

I appreciate all of the advice everyone has given me in this thread.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:12 AM

I'm no detailing expert, but I've done several cars in the past, including my own many times, and I would go with the clay bar method. There are no real abrasives in polish, so I HIGHLY doubt you will get it out with that.

My method of doing this would be clay bar, then polish with some very fine poilsh on a PC or by hand would work good too (I prefer Menzerna products), then seal it with a decent wax.

Quick Reply: paint overspray removal