Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Paint feels and looks rough.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by iMuf
Good luck man, let us know how it goes.
Well i'll try the dish soap today and get compound tomorrow. I'll take video of how the dish soap works and go from there.
Plus you guys can get a better idea of what i'm talking about.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:50 PM
Old 07-10-2013, 04:57 PM

It looks better. But you can really hear how rough it is as you ran your hand over it. Next step would be some rubbing compound. If that doesn't work then I would recommend going to body shop or something like that and see if that can measure your paint and see if wet sanding would be a safe option. I'm running out of ideas haha

Old 07-10-2013, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by iMuf
It looks better. But you can really hear how rough it is as you ran your hand over it. Next step would be some rubbing compound. If that doesn't work then I would recommend going to body shop or something like that and see if that can measure your paint and see if wet sanding would be a safe option. I'm running out of ideas haha
Haha yea i'm running out of ideas also but as long as the paint looks alright and such i'll be happy. I'm not trying to get it too show standards but.... Thanks for the help man!

Old 07-11-2013, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Cadillac Kid03
Thanks for the help guys i'll give the dishwashing liquid a try and see what happens. I think its rusted brake dust all over the car because of my father driving it with rusted brakes or none existed pads left so it was metal on metal. Now before anyone steps saying i'm a dumbass for letting him do that its not my fault i told him what would happen and......
If this is metal from the brakes, get a good wheel cleaner and spray it on a test area to see if it will remove the metal particles. If the car were white you could tell as the specs would be orange/rust colored. Make sure the surface is cool and don't let the cleaner dry on the paint. Good luck and look g forward to seeing some pictures.

This is what I would try, watch the video for results:

Deep Wheel Cleaner | Brake Dust Remover | Color Change Wheel Cleaner

Old 07-12-2013, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by RonBoySS
If this is metal from the brakes, get a good wheel cleaner and spray it on a test area to see if it will remove the metal particles. If the car were white you could tell as the specs would be orange/rust colored. Make sure the surface is cool and don't let the cleaner dry on the paint. Good luck and look g forward to seeing some pictures.

This is what I would try, watch the video for results:

Deep Wheel Cleaner | Brake Dust Remover | Color Change Wheel Cleaner
I'll try the wheel cleaner then lol Thanks for the advice i'll try it in a few.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:13 PM

I tried wheel cleaner just not this one and nothing still feels like crap.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:53 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If the residue was too heavy for the Dawn to remove you may have to resort to bug-n-tar remover. Use an applicator to scrub the surface then remove with a microfiber towel. Afterwards wash the car then use a clay bar or compound followed by polish/glaze and wax. At the very least put a coat of wax on it because the tar-n-bug remover will strip all protection.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
If the residue was too heavy for the Dawn to remove you may have to resort to bug-n-tar remover. Use an applicator to scrub the surface then remove with a microfiber towel. Afterwards wash the car then use a clay bar or compound followed by polish/glaze and wax. At the very least put a coat of wax on it because the tar-n-bug remover will strip all protection.
Yep i'll give that a try next i guess but man is your Monte Clean!!!!

Old 07-13-2013, 03:09 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Cadillac Kid03
Yep i'll give that a try next i guess but man is your Monte Clean!!!!
Thanks. Being it's a daily driver keeping it clean is a never ending battle. Touch ups during the week and a wash/detail inside and out on weekends. I've never come up against anything as stubborn as that gunk you're up against. I hope the tar-n-bug remover does the trick.