Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Paint feels and looks rough.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 03:49 PM
Default Paint feels and looks rough.

Hey guys i could use some help on the 2001 Monte Carlo SS's paint. It feels rough and looks rough i tried today with a clay bar but that did nothing used a whole clay bar on the drivers side door. So i'm thinking i need to wet sand it but not sure what grit is needed. We are getting this car ready to be sold since clearly it sits in the driveway and does not get used what so ever 28K Miles...

Here's the fender not bad right?

The Drivers door

Old 07-09-2013, 06:34 PM

if your going to sand try something like 3000 grit or 3500 grit. If you have a more modern polisher that uses a hook and loop backing plate you could order a meguiars microfiber cutting pad and a good cutting compound and try that. But you will need something like that anyway to get rid of the scratches from sanding. Here is a video that is very informative and that shows some crazy results that wet sanding with 2500 grit and then polishing with a microfiber cutting pad.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by iMuf
if your going to sand try something like 3000 grit or 3500 grit. If you have a more modern polisher that uses a hook and loop backing plate you could order a meguiars microfiber cutting pad and a good cutting compound and try that. But you will need something like that anyway to get rid of the scratches from sanding. Here is a video that is very informative and that shows some crazy results that wet sanding with 2500 grit and then polishing with a microfiber cutting pad.

How to Wet Sand a Water Mark in Black Paint - YouTube
Thanks for the help! Do you think wet sanding would work on paint that feels like sand paper? LOL

Old 07-09-2013, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Cadillac Kid03
Thanks for the help! Do you think wet sanding would work on paint that feels like sand paper? LOL
It should, depending on what it is. If it's just stuff that is sitting on the paint that is to stubborn to come off with clay then yes it should fix that. If it is stuff that is below the surface (which it doesn't sound like it is) then it wouldn't. It sounds like it's just stubborn contaminants and are really caked on there. Just be careful not to sand to deep and ruin your clear coat. Also you may check over at autogeek.net and see what they have to say. It is a forum like this but instead of a forum about Monte Carlos it's about auto detailing. You have everyone from your weekend warrior to pros on there who are very very knowledgeable when it comes to detailing a car. I am looking at starting up a detailing business and all I have done for the last few weeks is go on there and just read and soak in as much information as I can. It is a very good site that I recommend you check out before going with sanding. You only have so much clear coat, so you don't want to take that away or it means having the panel resprayed. You may find that there is an easier, less damaging way to take care of the problem.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:29 PM

Also check out Adamsforums.com for help, there is probably a local detailer that can take a look & ask them what they would do to correct. Wet sanding is a last resort in my book, start with the least aggressive method first.

Good luck and hope it goes well to clean up.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:10 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It looks to me like you just have a major build up of funk on the paint. A good cleaning with (blue) Dawn dishwashing liquid should remove the majority of that. A clay bar/compound afterwards should eliminate any residual. Then polish, and glaze/wax. That's what I used on a car that sat under a tree (lots of sap and crud) and Dawn with a lot of elbow grease cleaned it right up.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:34 AM

Thanks for the help guys i'll give the dishwashing liquid a try and see what happens. I think its rusted brake dust all over the car because of my father driving it with rusted brakes or none existed pads left so it was metal on metal. Now before anyone steps saying i'm a dumbass for letting him do that its not my fault i told him what would happen and......

Old 07-10-2013, 12:39 PM

Thanks for the help guys i'll give the dishwashing liquid a try and see what happens. I think its rusted brake dust all over the car because of my father driving it with rusted brakes or none existed pads left so it was metal on metal. Now before anyone steps saying i'm a dumbass for letting him do that its not my fault i told him what would happen and......
It happens. Its not something that can't be fixed, just might take a little longer and be a little harder to do so then normal everyday grime. You may also try a good rubbing compound such as turtle wax or anything else like that. When I had my old 96' Thunderbird it had sat outside for several months before I got the car. So it had tree wax and all kinds of junk that a normal wash wouldn't get off. So I took a good rubbing compound (it was turtle wax, just don't remember what exactly it was) and set aside a good weekend and just sat there and rubbed the whole car down. A few microfiber towels and a couple sore arms later the paint really came back to life. You may also try that after you wash it with dish soap and strip any wax off the car.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by iMuf
It happens. Its not something that can't be fixed, just might take a little longer and be a little harder to do so then normal everyday grime. You may also try a good rubbing compound such as turtle wax or anything else like that. When I had my old 96' Thunderbird it had sat outside for several months before I got the car. So it had tree wax and all kinds of junk that a normal wash wouldn't get off. So I took a good rubbing compound (it was turtle wax, just don't remember what exactly it was) and set aside a good weekend and just sat there and rubbed the whole car down. A few microfiber towels and a couple sore arms later the paint really came back to life. You may also try that after you wash it with dish soap and strip any wax off the car.
Thanks for replying it really means a'lot. I tried a "Polish" and that did nothing for the paint. The clay picked some stuff up but still left most of it. I guess i'll be looking into getting a good rubbing compound

Old 07-10-2013, 12:52 PM

Thanks for replying it really means a'lot. I tried a "Polish" and that did nothing for the paint. The clay picked some stuff up but still left most of it. I guess i'll be looking into getting a good rubbing compound
Good luck man, let us know how it goes.

Quick Reply: Paint feels and looks rough.