Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

$50 Paint Job - That Looks Incredible!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 04:25 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- December 2007
Default $50 Paint Job - That Looks Incredible!

I have spent the last 3-hours reading about this. It started with a response from this guy that goes by "69chargeryeehaa" on this mopar forum. http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/...art=1&vc=1

I read most of all the posts and found other articles pertaining to this, but here is a few pictures of this guy's 69 charger that he paint with a ROLLER by hand!!! for $50

You have to follow this to believe it... because I thought there had to be a joke to this... like a set up, but the more I read the more real it became.

Here is a link to the paint he used:
http://www.rustoleum.com/Product.asp...L=5&dds=47

Then another article on it:
http://www.autosavant.net/2007/05/pa...th-roller.html

and even more to read:
http://carpainting.wetpaint.com/page...f/19,20?t=anon

I think this is incredible! $35 in paint, $15-$20 in high density rollers, thinner, and tape! The paint self levels, requires basic wet sanding in-between coats, and the clear coat (available) is optional.

The guy painted his VW the same way:

Is this wild or what! If you read through the original posts, you will see that others have tried this and it worked great for them too!

So what to you think of this guys $50 Do yourself paint job!

Old 11-25-2007, 05:04 PM
Default RE: $50 Paint Job - That Looks Incredible!

man i just cant belive it this is way too good to be true

Old 11-25-2007, 05:22 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

thye probably just look good from a distance.. i imagine if you were seeing it in person and got right beside it, it wuld look kinda messed up. it looks good in pictures & driving up and down the road though.

Old 11-25-2007, 05:53 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hot Rod magazine, July 2007 issue, has an article about painting your car at home for $98. Theypainted a '62 Falcon with $23.74 worth of Rustoleum, and basically did the same thing, but added red accents on the otherwise all white paint job.
My Dad painted his '59 ****** pickup truck with Rustoleum, but he brushed it, and it looked like it. These guys put in LOTS of hand labor to make the paint look good.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:21 PM

Yea, I did alot of research on this when I had my '70 Camaro project car, and these cars actually turn out very nice, but its alot of work. I found one thread on aforum with like 70 pages or more, andI readEVERY POST on it over 2 nights.For someone who is willing to put forth the work involved, much $$ can be saved, and a nice looking paint job can result.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:46 AM

Member `Craig -BlackAttack,
Great find, & Post. I would love to see one in person also : )
It's still in the detail of the preparation of
the subject vehicle.But for the cost,
I would do it to an old dailey beach ride : )
. .
I enjoyed the read. Thanks

Old 11-26-2007, 12:02 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

A couple years ago we discussed this Charger on Chevy Talk.

A membe with a '55 Chevy had found the info about the paint job and wanted to try it on his '55. The car turned out nice.

The owner didn't like it so he re-blacked the '55 till about a year ago when he finally painted the car with a decent paint job.

Then he sold it.

Old 11-26-2007, 03:55 PM

dur

Old 11-26-2007, 04:43 PM

Again, another post not very constructive PlasticPower624. Dur? I mean, really, come on.

Hey Black Attack, do you think something like that would work on the newer body type of material like on our cars? For some reason, I think that it might turn out not so good on our newer cars, because the sheetmetal is so thin, but on an older car, as you can see, it turns out excellent...

This might be my NEXT project.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:44 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

My son painted one of his Hondas with a "rattle can" as he calls it. Actually looked pretty good. He started to do the roller thing put decided it was more work than he wanted to put into it and he couldn't really tell much difference so back to the rattle can.

Quick Reply: $50 Paint Job - That Looks Incredible!