Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Finally got a clay bar for my Monte! Woohoo!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 03:08 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

Originally Posted by drjesus616
jesus christ dude ... i get it ... what is with you guys assuming that either i dont know what im doing, or that the picture is supposed to represent my efforts with claying, polishing, waxing and everything else ... its a finished picture referring to the WHOLE finished process ...

washed - clayed - windexed - swirl remover2.0 - ultimate compound - show car glaze - nxt tech wax - gold carnuba wax on all perpendicular surfaces ....

there are still marks and scratches in my paint that i cant get out with the polishes i have or the pads i use ...

i mean seriously ... and jaws im not going off on you, but effff me you guys just love telling people what they do is wrong ... or insufficient

considering i taught myself, pieced together, and worked on my own process based on the relatively limited monetary resources to detail "MY" car ... i think ive done a damn good job ... and ill let anyone come check my paint any day of the week

you also respond and act like im a little kid, and in no way get offended ... and i gotta say this thread has officially pissed me off ...

im done ... to the OP, good luck with your car, follow the instructions on the box ... clearly not me

swirl marks and spiderwebs that are there BEFORE last detailing ... i didnt take any afters because i wasnt finished with the whole car ...
I didnt mean to offend you at all.. Sorry if i came off a bit strong im still heated about the Phillies game Saturday night. I did not say you did a good job, the pic you posted it looks fantastic but its a bad pic to demo straight how good of a detail job it is.

Besides you cant really show a clay bar job in a pic its something you have to feel. And what I said about what makes a car look good is my opinion. Me being a full time detailer and running my own business I am very VERY particulate in my details. They must be absolutely perfect or im dissatisfied with my work.

The pics I posted represent pics that can be used to demo straight a detail job

Sorry for making you upset as i did not intend to...

Last edited by jaws2008; 10-24-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:05 PM

once again for clarity, when i posted the pic, it was in reference to the whole thing ...

i wish i had either the resources or the clientele to do what i do on my own cars for money, but unfortunately only my friends seem to be interested and they are never willing to pay what i feel is appropriate ... but such are friends, no ?

i will, since i feel as though ive been hasty with the attitude get some pictures before and after i do the deck lid of the monte on wednesday, for some reason it always attracts the most swirl marks and scratches ... because i was tired when i started last time i only made it to the doors

OP - hurry up and get to claying already, there has been too much drama over your car to not have pictures soon :p

Old 11-05-2010, 11:05 PM

Monte Of The Month -- May 2013
1 Year Member

HEY 616. looking at your pictures. Your doing a damn good job. I do my Chevelle once a month. And its amazing how it feels & looks afterwards. next is the 2006 Monte. I love doing it. Because of the way it feels afterwards. After you wax it. Throwing a towel across the hood. And it just flys off. Thats a good feelin. ohhh yeah. Your car looks great in those pic's............Rick

Old 11-06-2010, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by Ricks 2006 SS
Your car looks great in those pic's............Rick
thanks rick ... its always nice to watch a microfiber be pushed down the hood by nothing other than a stiff breeze or watch the water the next time you wash simply bead up and roll right off

Old 11-07-2010, 10:51 AM

1 Year Member

Plus when it get dirty. The road grim just hose's off. Because Now the paint is flat. If your car a rubbed out and polished good. Nothing will stick to it. For you guys & Girls that don't know this. your paint looks like Mountains & valleys. So when you rub it out & polish it. I smooths things flat. So theres no where for the dirty to hide. Makes life so much easier. On my Chevelle. I've only washed it twice all yr. 1st because it only got wet once this yr. Got caught in a shower on the way home. About a mile from home. So after that wash. I never had to wash it again. I always wash it at the beinging of the season. thats 2. Quick detailer and the Califonia duster do tha job while the Chevelle is warming up.

Old 11-07-2010, 03:05 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

Originally Posted by Ricks 2006 SS
Plus when it get dirty. The road grim just hose's off. Because Now the paint is flat. If your car a rubbed out and polished good. Nothing will stick to it. For you guys & Girls that don't know this. your paint looks like Mountains & valleys. So when you rub it out & polish it. I smooths things flat. So theres no where for the dirty to hide. Makes life so much easier. On my Chevelle. I've only washed it twice all yr. 1st because it only got wet once this yr. Got caught in a shower on the way home. About a mile from home. So after that wash. I never had to wash it again. I always wash it at the beinging of the season. thats 2. Quick detailer and the Califonia duster do tha job while the Chevelle is warming up.
Id still wash it more than that. All the dirt that you pick up while you drive it. And it picks up a ton of dust while its in the garage. then when you use quick detailer it rubs all that into the paint and causes scratches and marring. If you dont feel like busting out the hose every time for a normal wash id suggest looking into a rinseless wash system like optimum no rinse or DP rinseless wash. Can wash the whole car in 20 min with no hose and just 3 gallons of water

Old 11-07-2010, 04:33 PM

1 Year Member

Well after an Exciting Vikings game. I went out and did the clay bar thing on my M/C hood and front fenders. Then did the wife's Cobalt hood & fenders. Been a long day got up early to get some garge stuff over & done with. Finally got all 3 Car"s in the garage with room to spare Now it's time to kick back for the evening. Job well done great weekend. Anybody else do the clay bar thing today. Nice weather for it. 62 & sunny here in Mn laterrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Old 11-08-2010, 06:50 PM

Looks Pretty Sweet (Well they both do)!
Considering doing the same myself, but with NY winter hitting already, I may have to wait! Last detail was last year, and after getting her all straight, I gotta hell of a scratch down my passenger door from some Trash Bag who had garbage all over there property! Heard some good stuff about the Clay bar, and other products. Nice work, looks Very Nice

Old 11-19-2010, 06:33 PM
Default Detailing (clay bar)

Okay you guys, I DON'T know what I'm doing and I need to know about clay bars. Do they remove surface dirt, or dirt plus wax down to the paint? I washed and waxed my car the day I brought it home, and have wiped down and sprayed with Quik Detailer (Meguiar's) almost every day since. I've tried liquid scratch removers for key marks around door handles and bush-and-tree scratches along the fender - NOTHING has worked! (including Meguiar's Scratch X20) Will a clay bar remove the surface scratches? My 2007 Monte looks pretty good but the surface isn't as mirror-like as I'd like. I've had it 3 months. Any suggestions will be appreciated!!

Last edited by Possum; 08-06-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:44 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It will clean out the scratches and all of the surface grime. The detailers on here can probably advise what to do for the small scratches better than i can.

Quick Reply: Finally got a clay bar for my Monte! Woohoo!