Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Finally got a clay bar for my Monte! Woohoo!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 12:57 PM
Monte Of The Month -- December 2010
Monte Of The Month -- November 2014
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Finally got a clay bar for my Monte! Woohoo!

Well, I just got my first clay bar kit today! I got Meguiars and a huge container of car wash for lubricant. Now hopefully I can get a day off when it is not raining! If anyone has any tips on techique, best temp to do it, etc. please let me know. I never did this before and am excited to see the results!

Old 10-20-2010, 09:41 PM
Default clay bar

Lisa, you should be able to use the "Quik Detailer" that came with the kit ? That's what I use and I've also used " Mothers" brand. They are both good. Make sure that you wash your car really good and dry it thoroughly. Then go at it in sections; spray the "mist & wipe" on the surface then come right behind it with the clay bar. Outside temp should be around 70 to 90 for ideal conditions. Always knead the clay bar. Do one section of the car then turn the bar inside out. The dirt that comes off will surprise you. Buff off then maybe lightly wash again if necessary.
Good luck.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:59 PM

Thanks Rich! I was told I would get better lubrication with the car wash liquid instead of the detailer spray. Ok, so I don't keep it shaped like a bar when I use it? Do I go in circles or back and forth? I hope the weather is warm enough for me to do this on a day off. I am sure it will be filthy since it has never been done before.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:04 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

A quick detailer is better. It can be done right after you wash the car before you dry it. Spray the QD on the car while its wet and rub the clay bar over the car in a back and forth motion to eliminate spider webbing effect.

I actually make my own solution for claying. Rinseless car wash solution diluted 3 ounces to 32oz of water with and ounce of All Purpose Cleaner and ounce of Car Wash soap. That combo works fantastic.

EDIT: want to add that 1 ounce of non diluted APC

Last edited by jaws2008; 10-20-2010 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:09 PM
Default clay bar

[quote=jaws2008;269850]A quick detailer is better. It can be done right after you wash the car before you dry it. Spray the QD on the car while its wet and rub the clay bar over the car in a back and forth motion to eliminate spider webbing effect.

...your welcome and what he said .

Old 10-21-2010, 12:15 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

Make sure you keep the area you are claying very lubricated and keep kneading the clay when it gets dirty. If you drop it on the ground - throw it away immediately!

Old 10-21-2010, 03:49 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Lisa, treat it like a kneaded eraser, do small sections at a time and set aside 5 hours or so :P

I would do it on a cloudy day so you aren't sweating like crazy and the paint isn't hot

Old 10-21-2010, 09:54 PM

Got ya on the kneaded eraser, lol. Yeah, I think it has been just too cool here lately. I thought this time of year would be great but I may have missed my temp window. Waiting for a decent temp on a day off. How long should one clay bar last me? They look so small like they would get dirty fast. I really appreciate all the help and advice on this!

Old 10-21-2010, 10:08 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

Depends on the car. Ive had ClayBars last me through 4 or 5 cars. Some as little as 2.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:00 AM

i dont understand how everyone says it takes so long, the first car i ever did with the clay bar only took me around 15 minutes, and it was an explorer. The 1st time i did the monte took me around the same time because it was bad!!! but since the paint is good now, i get claying done in around 5 minutes, and do it in between final rinse and california car blade squeeging the car off ... then a real quick dry with a giant cotton bath towel, and then windex prior to any wax/ polish

i also use my own mixture of about 2 oz of car wash soap and the rest of the quick detailer bottle full of water, but i keep the hose around to wash/ rinse off the residue rather than buffing with the microfiber towel

after the first clay bar treatment, youre going to hate yourself, because the thought will occur "ive been waxing over this stuff this long?" but all you need to do is the plastic bag inspection and run your finger over the freshly cleaned car to know it will never be like that again

Quick Reply: Finally got a clay bar for my Monte! Woohoo!