Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

- Dash Painting -

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 08:52 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default - Dash Painting -

Dash Painting

[/align]Beauty comes from within

[/align]

by Steve Temple

[/align]

MORE INFORMATION

See photos, step-by-step instructions and details.

[/align]Even if your car's interior isn't showing signs of age, one of
the most cost-effective and dramatic enhancements you can make is to paint the dash. We don't mean just slopping on a few coats of paint with a brush or trying to mask off the stereo and A/C vents and get silly with a spray can. The process is fairly involved and may require a pro, depending on your tools and level of experience. Here's an overview of what's required, using a Lexus IS 300 as an example.
Color and Prep

[/align]Note that the color used on the interior is the same as the exterior, which keeps the theme of the car consistent. A complementary color could be used as well, but be careful that it doesn't clash. One of the most common mistakes is a mismatched or odd color combination. Paint jobs that peel and flake also ruin the effect. The key to success here is good prep work. It's tedious, but it's the most important aspect of painting. The actual paint spraying goes pretty quickly by comparison.

[/align]When working on the parts outside of the car (don't even think about doing this without first removing them from the interior), start with a thorough cleaning with lacquer thinner to remove any and all dirt, oils, and vinyl dressings. The surface then needs to be roughed up a bit with a scouring pad and some paint-prep gel, so the primer adheres properly. A special plastic primer is required as well that has more flexing agents than conventional primer. This gives the coating a bit of "give" for covering pliable material.
Paint and Check

[/align]After the paint has been applied and dried, go back over it carefully to inspect for any minor specks in the surface. Since the dash pieces are always within close view, you'll want a flawless surface. Remove any small particles with fine sandpaper and then buff the surface smooth with a polishing wheel and compound.

[/align]If this dash painting job sounds a bit more challenging or time consuming than you had in mind, the good news is that it's not as expensive as you might expect. Figure on less than a thousand dollars for a high-quality interior paint job, which is a pretty cost-effective treatment considering the big difference it will make.

Post your thoughts & experiences. Or contact Moderator Mickey.
Post your Tips & Tricks.[align=left][:-]Click on Image [:-][/align][IMG]local://upfiles/714/75C5D692D91942289BA04A7458A085E4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-23-2007, 09:53 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member
Default RE: - Dash Painting -

i did this in my dakota...fairly easy to do as well, i wouldn't paint the entire dash board, maybe just the trip piece of plastic around the guages and the radio.

all i did was sand it till it was 100% completely smooth, then i primered it, and sprayed it like as if i was painting a car, and it looked exactly the same quality as the outside of the vehicle...and i cleared over it as well...i loved it...

Old 02-23-2007, 02:01 PM

i think i would rather leave mine the ebony that it is to me it just looks better and just right for the car

Old 02-23-2007, 08:05 PM

I have been thinking about painting my dash shroud. Can anyone provide the breakdown for removing the dash shroud around the instrument cluster, steering wheel, and centre console. ie, where are the screws, are there any clips, anything special to take into consideration?

Mickey should know most of this! I think it would make a good write-up for this thread.

Help us out, Mickey!!!

Old 02-24-2007, 02:27 PM

[align=center]
ORIGINAL: Bigg J

I have been thinking about painting my dash shroud. Can anyone provide the breakdown for removing the dash shroud around the instrument cluster, steering wheel, and centre console. ie, where are the screws, are there any clips, anything special to take into consideration?

Mickey should know most of this! I think it would make a good write-up for this thread.

Help us out, Mickey!!!
[/align][align=center]Moderator Bigg J, - Jason -[/align][align=center]I hope that Mod Mickey or another one of our talented members[/align][align=center]has the knowledge & will shares it with the MCF members. I'd be afraid to try it myself.[/align][align=center]I do ok on model cars, but not my Monte : )[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I heard that Mod Mickey is still getting settled in the Big State of Texas[/align][align=center]and he is patiently awaiting the arrival of his awesome Monte to arrive[/align][align=center]from oversea's.[/align][align=center]Someone sent me a pic of Moderator Mickey on his[/align][align=center]new Turbo Texas Machine : ) LOL[/align][align=center][:-]Click below Image [:-][/align][align=center][IMG]local://upfiles/714/5650AC8976754B1CB0E17001050AF29D.jpg[/IMG] [/align][align=center][sm=happy046.gif]Go Mickey[/align][align=center][sm=groupwave.gif][sm=groupwave.gif][align=center][sm=groupwave.gif][/align][/align]

Old 02-24-2007, 05:49 PM

to remove the dash parts your talking is really easy.
there is a screw in the fuse pannel side of the dash behind the cover for the fuse pannel,
Also there is one in the glove compartment.
take those out and then you have to work the dash out.
REMBER TO WATCH OUT FOR THE KEY HOLE!!
on our cars you have to have the car in first gear with the ebrake set to get the dash out. so to do this you have to have the key in the ing. so it will allow the car to be in gear.

once you get past this to paint the dash is not hard at all
sand it smooth
wash it real good
wash it again
wash it again just to make sure you havent for gotten to wash it
then let dry
prime
paint put two coats on thin!!
sanding with 600 grit wet dry paper in between each coat of paint and wash it agian(KEEP THE DASH WET INBETWEEN COATS!!)

after you get to about 10-12 coats of paint and clear your done.
wax and throw it back in the car or stomp it to death witch ever comes first. LOL

actually not hard just time consuming. our cars have a silicone layer on them so they will flake if you dont get it off.

Also rember to get adhesion promoter for the dash just tell them you want to paint a plastic dash and need the stuff to make it stick to it with out comming off later.
Works great.

Later for now will see if i can get on agian later.
then do this all over.

Old 02-24-2007, 09:09 PM

damn mickey what year is that new bike?

Old 02-25-2007, 09:51 AM

Moderator Mickey, thanks for your post & time
on Dash Painting
[:-]Click link below (Another How2site) good pic's[:-]
Mod Mickey, I love your Turbo Bike