Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Clay Bar

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 08:51 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

Originally Posted by saigashooter
I'm going to throw my amateur opinion in here, but from what I've noticed, the Meguiars cleaner wax is much easier to remove than their NXT wax, the NXT really seems to "stick" to the paint.
Yes that has been how it is for me at times. but the cleaner wax is not for protecting or making it shine like NXT is.
I only use the cleaner wax to fix any small problems and to completely prep the paint after using their compound or SwirlX before I polish the car

I generally will:
ClayBar,
Compound or SwirlX,
Cleaner Wax,
Show Car Glaze #7
NXT 2.0
Gold Class Carnauba Wax

Old 05-14-2010, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by saigashooter
I'm going to throw my amateur opinion in here, but from what I've noticed, the Meguiars cleaner wax is much easier to remove than their NXT wax, the NXT really seems to "stick" to the paint.

Also, any tips for using the orbital buffer? I have enough small scratches that it is driving me nuts, but don't trust myself to remove them.
If you cant trust yourself get a professional to do it. The last thing u want it to mess up you paint.

Originally Posted by jaws2008
Yes that has been how it is for me at times. but the cleaner wax is not for protecting or making it shine like NXT is.
I only use the cleaner wax to fix any small problems and to completely prep the paint after using their compound or SwirlX before I polish the car

I generally will:
ClayBar,
Compound or SwirlX,
Cleaner Wax,
Show Car Glaze #7
NXT 2.0
Gold Class Carnauba Wax
clay bar nice

compound and swirl x pretty much the same thing but the compound is better. Id just drop the swirl and save yourself the 5 bucks for the Meguries Ulitmate compound.

cleaner wax is good but its still a light compound

the gold class is pointless

Try this. Please
ClayBar,
Compound
Show Car Glaze #7
NXT 2.0

If the was is sticky thats good just remember. Wax on Wax off

Old 05-18-2010, 12:28 PM

This is going to be a stupid question but I was wondering if I HAVE to have a buffer to do this, or can i just do it by hand?

Old 05-18-2010, 01:06 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Originally Posted by Kozentaru
This is going to be a stupid question but I was wondering if I HAVE to have a buffer to do this, or can i just do it by hand?
Hand.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Kozentaru
You can do it by hand but you wont get as good results as buy a buffer.

This is a buffer

This is not a buffer but a DA

^ dont let em fool you thats not a buffer

The reasoning. When using a high speed buffer you are able to heat up the paint, giving you the ability to remove light scratches and blemishes. Where as by hand you cannot create that kind of heat.

Last edited by gothkid; 05-20-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by gothkid
You can do it by hand but you wont get as good results as buy a buffer.

This is a buffer

This is not a buffer but a DA

^ dont let em fool you thats not a buffer
I beg to differ......

Both of the pictured tools are indeed buffers, they're just two different types. The first one is a high speed rotary buffer, the second one is a random orbital or dual action buffer. I can go into alot more detail than that but that's the gist of it. Feel free to ask questions if you have them

Old 05-20-2010, 10:30 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

i kind of disagree saying you NEED a buffer, or random orbital, i picked out a 2 sq inch area on my car and got rid of all the swirl marks in about 15 minutes, but had super sore arms haha, so get a buffer or someone that really knows what theyre doing to do it, like jonny

btw jonny, i believe that time is coming soon haha

Old 05-21-2010, 11:58 AM

Well trewyn free up a saturday and 3hrs just in case.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:34 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2010
1 Year Member

I used the Mother's kit for my old Plymouth and my 98 MC...I loved it! Brougth that paint back to like new!

Old 06-06-2010, 02:02 AM

What is better to use for those unsightly swirl marks, a rotary, an orbital or a DA? Forget by hand, that would take forever!! I have a waxmaster buffer, but it only has one speed and gets about 2500revs... I'm told that's too slow, and need something faster. I've used it with Meguiars 105 and 205 compounds, and the car looks AMAZING, it's smooth as glass, but still has some swirl marks in it. I really would prefer NOT to spend a whole heap of cash on a new device, but if I NEED too, I will, Gritos Garage has some VERY nice and VERY pricey products, including a 6" and 3" orbital with pads.

Quick Reply: Clay Bar