Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Clay Bar

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 09:53 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- October 2010

What im doing right now is:
-meguiars wash (purple bottle)
-Clay bar smooth kit
-ultimate compound ( takes out swirls)
-next gen liquid wax... i dont really care for the paste.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:59 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

ok, let me ask this, if I take my car to a so-called "professional" or detail shop, will the results be the same/better or what? most likely I would maybe go $120 or so for the entire car, inside and out to be detailed! let me know your opinion on this, thanks

Last edited by monte carlo 3831; 05-12-2010 at 10:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-12-2010, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by monte carlo 3831
ok, let me ask this, if I take my car to a so-called "professional" or detail shop, will the results be the same/better or what? most likely I would maybe go $120 or so for the entire car, inside and out to be detailed! let me know your opinion on this, thanks
All detailers are not equal. If I was the detailer you brought it to it would most definitely be better! I have fixed many a car after being detailed by so called detailers at local shops.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:08 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 04MonteLS
All detailers are not equal. If I was the detailer you brought it to it would most definitely be better! I have fixed many a car after being detailed by so called detailers at local shops.
thanks, that is great info, I appreciate it very much! so, who can I trust to do a very good detail job on my car?? also, I've been seeing your car in your sig the last few days and it looks very nice

Old 05-12-2010, 10:09 PM

I started my car repair career with a job at a dealer as a detailer. I made a 5 year old car look like a one year old car and the dealer made $5000 on a trade in that sold in 4 days. It took a wash, clay bar, compound buff, wax and interior detail that took me 2 days. The paint started as shiny as a chalk board.
My point is no detailer will work that long or hard unless they have to. Do the work yourself and the results will show themselves, a much better result.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:59 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- October 2010

I say do the work yourself... it is more rewarding in the end when it is shining in the sun....just a side note on the detailing im doing right now, the meguiars ultimate compound is not easy to get back off if doing it by hand, probably easier with a polisher but I dont have one

Old 05-12-2010, 11:17 PM

i use a liquid clay bar, which im not sure if it's as effective??

I also use Nu-finish scratch remover and Nu-finish polish afterwards... both with a buffing wheel. It looks great, but i'm still looking on how to remove those unsightly swirl marks and fine scratches that are ALWAYS there in direct sunlight, any suggestions on how they can be minimized? I'm also starting to see them on my 2008 Mustang, which is NEVER dirty and hardly driven as it's more of a show car... it's starting to upset me that these fine scratches and swirl marks are just appearing...

Old 05-12-2010, 11:20 PM

Oh... and by the way, Chris, if you give ME 100 bucks and drop your car off in my driveway, i'll clean and detail it for you, inside AND out!! :p

Old 05-12-2010, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Justin Knight
I made a 5 year old car look like a one year old car. It took a wash, clay bar, compound buff, wax and interior detail that took me 2 days. My point is no detailer will work that long or hard unless they have to.
Good job! I'm a detailer and I take pride in my work and I want to be satisfied with what I accomplished as much as I want my client to be satisfied. There are detailers out there who care more about quantity rather than quality, the majority unfortunately, which makes it hard for guys like me to get the kind of money I demand for my work because to say people are skeptical is an understatement. This is due to those shady "detailers" who blow smoke to get the job but after 2 washes the car looks as it did before the $120 detail job. Yeah, my services are expensive for most but I like to think that when I take your car from......

This (before)

To This (After)

They realize quickly that it's alot cheaper to pay me $200 to make thier car look brand new again than to pay a body shop $2000+ to repaint the car.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by monte carlo 3831
thanks, that is great info, I appreciate it very much! so, who can I trust to do a very good detail job on my car?? also, I've been seeing your car in your sig the last few days and it looks very nice
I would go with someone based on recommendations from friends and family, other than that it's a crap shoot.

Thanks, one day my car will actually look like that....i'm working on it.

Quick Reply: Clay Bar