Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Clay Bar

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 11:42 PM

Definetly some TOP NOTCH work there... Nicely done! You should take pride in your accomplishments!

Old 05-13-2010, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by #2627
Definetly some TOP NOTCH work there... Nicely done! You should take pride in your accomplishments!
Thank you. That one took me a little over 16hrs to complete. It's now going to take alot of money to get me to touch another dark colored Mercedes, their paint is super hard but if you find the right pad/product/machine combo it can be defeated.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:19 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

how hard is it to really use an orbital? i wouldnt want to swirl, but id like to learn too, and its alot easier i would assume than using scratch-x by hand, getting almost nothing done.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:30 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- October 2010

That looks amazing! I give you big props cuz my othe car is black and it is a pain in the *** to keep black and even somewhat decent looking!

Old 05-13-2010, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by 04MonteLS
Oh man, the clay bar is lovely! Will leave your paint feeling buttery smooth. It's a good idea to polish after claying though.
+1
Originally Posted by AwesomeSS
I use the next gen liquid wax and apply it with the orbital - yes I'm lazy LOL!!!! I remove it by hand though using a micro fiber towel.
Thats how it should be done. Your not lazy, if you where you would use a high speed buffer to remove it lol.

Originally Posted by thumpingetocar06
I think anything meguiars... you cannot go wrong lol
I agree for consumers

Originally Posted by mak330
ok ive used the tech 2 paste wax in the past and i hated it.

not sure if its paste in general, cause i have black paint, or the paste form, but it left white crap all over my car. every single seem,crack, crevious, you get the pic. i was picking at that crap for months.
A black car is one of the hardest cars to wax because you HAVE to do it in shade. You will want to keep that car in shade the entire time your detailing it, because if you dont the paint will heat up. Black Paint is also known for showing every flaw, so your most likly not alone. Have you tought about using a compound?

Originally Posted by trewyn15
what are the orders you guys use your meguiars in? like what products in what order?
Just for you buddy

Originally Posted by monte carlo 3831
ok, let me ask this, if I take my car to a so-called "professional" or detail shop, will the results be the same/better or what? most likely I would maybe go $120 or so for the entire car, inside and out to be detailed! let me know your opinion on this, thanks
If a "professional" doest it the shine may last longer if the "professional" uses "professional" products. I have personaly notcied that my "professional" chemicals, lasts alot longer then the chemicals on the "Shelf". If i might add a "professional" will should get every knook and cranny. So wheather or not you want to compair your skills or not. Its up to you.

I say do the work yourself... it is more rewarding in the end when it is shining in the sun....just a side note on the detailing im doing right now, the meguiars ultimate compound is not easy to get back off if doing it by hand, probably easier with a polisher but I dont have one
Hey guys common you talkin my business away lol.

Originally Posted by #2627
i use a liquid clay bar, which im not sure if it's as effective??

I also use Nu-finish scratch remover and Nu-finish polish afterwards... both with a buffing wheel. It looks great, but i'm still looking on how to remove those unsightly swirl marks and fine scratches that are ALWAYS there in direct sunlight, any suggestions on how they can be minimized? I'm also starting to see them on my 2008 Mustang, which is NEVER dirty and hardly driven as it's more of a show car... it's starting to upset me that these fine scratches and swirl marks are just appearing...
Nu Finshin is better in the trash. Please use Meguires ulitmate compound then follow with Meguires tek wax 2.0. The compound will help with the fine scratches and swrils, and the 2.0 will help keep the shine. Just remember when your buffing take you time.

how hard is it to really use an orbital? i wouldnt want to swirl, but id like to learn too, and its alot easier i would assume than using scratch-x by hand, getting almost nothing done.
I can show you a few things.

And nice job man the mercades looks great

Old 05-13-2010, 03:43 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by gothkid
+1

Thats how it should be done. Your not lazy, if you where you would use a high speed buffer to remove it lol.

I agree for consumers

A black car is one of the hardest cars to wax because you HAVE to do it in shade. You will want to keep that car in shade the entire time your detailing it, because if you dont the paint will heat up. Black Paint is also known for showing every flaw, so your most likly not alone. Have you tought about using a compound?

Just for you buddy

If a "professional" doest it the shine may last longer if the "professional" uses "professional" products. I have personaly notcied that my "professional" chemicals, lasts alot longer then the chemicals on the "Shelf". If i might add a "professional" will should get every knook and cranny. So wheather or not you want to compair your skills or not. Its up to you.

Hey guys common you talkin my business away lol.

Nu Finshin is better in the trash. Please use Meguires ulitmate compound then follow with Meguires tek wax 2.0. The compound will help with the fine scratches and swrils, and the 2.0 will help keep the shine. Just remember when your buffing take you time.

I can show you a few things.

And nice job man the mercades looks great
gonna text you today during school and tell you its that kinda season coming but i forgot haha, gonna have to have ya over one of these following weeks

Old 05-13-2010, 07:55 PM

Piece of cake! About the only way you can damage the paint with an orbital is by throwing it at the car.

That looks amazing! I give you big props cuz my othe car is black and it is a pain in the *** to keep black and even somewhat decent looking!
Thanks. Black is a huge PITA but it's also the most rewarding color since it hides NOTHING.

nice job man the mercades looks great
Thanks. I had serious doubts about the job once I got started on it but I kept at it and you see how it turned out.

Last edited by 04MonteLS; 05-13-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:05 PM

i love detailing cars that surprise you when your done. Its like "damn i did that?"

Old 05-14-2010, 07:02 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

i love detailing cars that surprise you when your done. Its like "damn i did that?"
I absolutely agree with that!!!

Old 05-14-2010, 07:44 PM

I'm going to throw my amateur opinion in here, but from what I've noticed, the Meguiars cleaner wax is much easier to remove than their NXT wax, the NXT really seems to "stick" to the paint.

Also, any tips for using the orbital buffer? I have enough small scratches that it is driving me nuts, but don't trust myself to remove them.

Quick Reply: Clay Bar