Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Black turtle wax

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 07:03 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Because wax is not wax

If wax was just wax, there wouldn't be expensive and cheap versions.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:08 PM

Indeed, some brands are better performing than others. But the shine I got out of turtle wax black box was hella good. Once I run out, I'll look into Meguiar's and some other brands recommended to me, but until one of those provides me with a better result, I'll definitely defend the use of black box.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:33 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

Originally Posted by DeanMachine
But the shine I got out of turtle wax black box was hella good.
Have fun with your "hella good" shine for two weeks until you run back to the store and spend another $20 on more "turtle ****"

I personally preferred spending a little more money up front for proper supplies to ELIMINATE my imperfections, and not just hide them Then again I also had the time to research, the money to spend, and the motivation and ability to do something about it, so I guess if you don't possess those traits you can continue to spray and wipe your so called "wax."

Last edited by 01 Monte SS; 08-27-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:41 PM

Actually, I only used about 1/4 of the bottle on the first application. So maybe that will be another $20 in two months or so. Don't see any problems there.

In any case, like I said - once I run out, I will peruse other brands. My new job starts in September, when perhaps I will be able to afford a more permanent solution. Thanks though.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:43 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Originally Posted by 01 Monte SS
Have fun with your "hella good" shine for two weeks until you run back to the store and spend another $20 on more "turtle ****"

I personally preferred spending a little more money up front for proper supplies to ELIMINATE my imperfections, and not just hide them Then again I also had the time to research, the money to spend, and the motivation and ability to do something about it, so I guess if you don't possess those traits you can continue to spray and wipe your so called "wax."
Idk where u get 2 weeks from, ive seen several cars use it & still have the same shine over a month later & some have real bad paint, i used it on my camaro & it lasted all summer, but all the haters i can see are meguiars nuts which is crap imo & way over priced for what u get

Old 08-27-2012, 07:53 PM

3 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03JGMonte
Idk where u get 2 weeks from, ive seen several cars use it & still have the same shine over a month later & some have real bad paint, i used it on my camaro & it lasted all summer, but all the haters i can see are meguiars nuts which is crap imo & way over priced for what u get
I've seen it last as little as two weeks from my experience with my Explorer. Washed it a few times, got rained on, etc. and the poor spots were already coming back. And yes your entitled to think what you want about Meguiars, or any wax for that matter. I have yet to suggest any of their products anyways?

Regardless, I personally would rather see people do a proper correction and be done. Assuming they do everything correctly or have it done correctly and spend a little time maintaining, there would be no need to do it for a long time. If anything I'm just trying to help out. Sure a black box would be alright for a quick detail or last minute before a show, but every few weeks, no thank you

And talk about overpricing, I'd say some over-the-counter $20 black shoe polished labeled as wax would be overpriced for what you get, which is a temporary fix. Why not put that money into good supplies and dedicate a few days to paint correction?

Last edited by 01 Monte SS; 08-27-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:38 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

This thread has taken an interesting turn,

http://www.autogeek.net

Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online - News & Announcements

Great places to kill a few hours learning about car care, and more products than you can imagine

Old 08-27-2012, 08:46 PM

3 Year Member

Originally Posted by Budsjlm
This thread has taken an interesting turn,

We Are Car Care -- Car Wax, Car Polish, Auto Detailing Supplies, Car Buffers & Car Accessories Store

Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online - News & Announcements

Great places to kill a few hours learning about car care, and more products than you can imagine
Thanks for the links, two excellent sources with a ton of great info that I've relied on many times. Search for black box on those sites. You'll get some interesting results in which a lot of people are far more harsh than I when it comes to Turtle Wax products

Old 08-27-2012, 09:44 PM

Just saying I used miguires and it looked good but then used black box and it looked fantastic. Miguires is **** compared to black box. and to fix my scratches I need a new paint job so this is best I can do. Im not painting my car and chevy does not make the intimidator badges so I cant sand it all anyway. Yea it takes 2 hrs to make your car look perfect but when waxing your car is what you do to relax and release some dopamine then Its fine.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:59 AM

Woah meguairs isn't crap. The reason there so expensive is because they no what their doing. From what I no turtle wax doesn't have a professional line, but surprise meguairs does.

Any yes it still looks this good and this was almost 2 months ago.

To add: wax dosnt do anything bu protect the paint. It's the polish that deeps and shines the paint.

Last edited by gothkid; 08-28-2012 at 10:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Black turtle wax