Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Stuck WHEEL BEARING! Ugh! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 10:51 AM
1 Year Member
Default Stuck WHEEL BEARING! Ugh! Help!

So I started doing some minor maintenance with my 03 monte carlo 3.4. The problem is now that Ive removed the 3 bolts holding in the Wheel bearing, the damn thing wont come out. The wheel bearing assembly is loose from the Axle itself, so thats not the issue; its just siezed on. Ive tried tapping it with a hammer while applying pressure using a crowbar against the back of the wheel bearing in an attempt to pry it off slowly. Ive used white lithium grease (which i intend to wipe off after i get this off) into the shaft and on the back of the wheel bearing (in an attempt to loosen it at all) I bought a 50 dollar 5 ton PULLER, that shoots off fast once i have about 20 turns on it...Im about to use a blow torche on it today, Heat up the center and hope to god it slides off...Im running out of options at this point and i dont know if bringing it in will be any different...they will prob try the same stuff ive done for it. If anyone has any ideas let me know cause i need to get to work tonight and i hate asking for rides >_>. Ty much

Duncan~

Old 12-23-2008, 10:59 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member
Default RE: Stuck WHEEL BEARING! Ugh! Help!

this is not meant to be rude, but you said you took off the 3 bolts/nuts on the outer edge, did you take off the center nut?

Old 12-23-2008, 11:26 AM

use the torch...thats about all uve got left just be careful

Old 12-28-2008, 10:13 AM

Don't know if you solved the problem or not, but I thought I'd chip in some experience I've had with my old 00 Cavalier. You were on the right track with the hammer and crowbar, just smack the crowbar instead of the bearing. It'll usually take two or three good smacks but the bearing will come off. Of course, this is providing you removed the center nut as mentioned earlier .

Hope this helps

Old 12-28-2008, 10:43 AM

Your not going to like hearing this.
I had a frozen-on wheel bearing on my Camaro.
Nothing would make that thing budge.
To get that Bearing off that Hub Spindle ... I had to "Knock-out" the rollers until the Outer Bearing Race and Rollers fell-off from the Inner Race stuck-on the Hub Spindle.
Then, to get the Inner Race off the Hub Spindle ... I had to CUT a Diagonal slice THROUGH the stuck-on Race until there was a Cut Line through the Race.
Then, I used HEAT and a Chisel to PRY-OPEN the Race off the Spindle.
It was like breaking out of Prison.

Once the Inner Race is SPLIT ... It's Inside Diameter will expand from being further opened by the Chisel and come free.

Dress the Spindle with 400 Sand Paper and Shoe-Shine the Spindle surface to a smooth bare-metal finish. Treat the Spindle with a coating of Permatex AntiSeize Compound before installing the New Bearings.

Old 12-31-2008, 03:25 PM
1 Year Member

FINALLY!, I fixed it! I got off the bearing after beating on it for 3 hours, it took forever and my arm was killing me, but i got it off, it was junk because the sensor went out on it so i had to replace the whole bearing assembly. Some wd 40 and a little retard rage did the trick. Yes the center nut was removed lol. I wouldnt go on a forum for something as simple as that. Anyways thanks again guys.

~duncan

Old 12-31-2008, 03:36 PM

Did you prep the spindle so it won't happen again?

Old 12-31-2008, 03:52 PM
1 Year Member

Yep, put on axel grease so the bearing doesnt seize again. Torqued everything to spec, good to go.

Old 12-31-2008, 04:16 PM

Do you have any tips or tricks to take note of because i am going to have to do the same thing come spring time and i get the monte out of storage.

Old 12-31-2008, 04:39 PM
1 Year Member

I would Reccomend a manual, It has alot of torque specs u need to know. Are you planning on putting on new bearings? If so its ok to tap out the bearing, making sure u tap outwards, Not down on the spindel. Try to avoid banging it from the start, it might get stuck. When everything is removed except the bearing use wd-40, blast it in every crack to make it easier to slide off. I basically just banged on it till it came off. Only because it was stuck, hopefully yours wont be. If its still stuck on there just hit it with a hammer, keeping in mind ur paint job around the area u work in. Once its off, i used a wire brush and cleaned off the spindel with wd-40. Once its nice and shiney dry off the wd, apply a thin coat of axle grease and put it back on. OH, btw, when u put the new bearing on, U have to slip the speed sensor in thru the hole, be VERY CAREFULL, if u let the wire get pinched it will more than likely break off from the pressure. Apply Pressure to the assembly (for lack of a better description) once u start working on it u will see what i mean. Dont forget to torque everything down to spec, its a critical spot in my opinion. When removing those 3 bolts that hold in the Bearing (back side) be very careful, they tend to strip out. I put in new ones cause my bolt heads ended up looking like swirl ice cream cones. I know this isnt in order, but when u get to the step just keep it in mind, Im not a expert but this is what helped me.

Duncan