Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Intake manifold exploded!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 11:34 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would suggest pulling the Lim and replacing the gaskets as well. Rtv the corners and be sure to use aluminum gaskets. Get a dorman uim and should be good to go

Old 02-18-2017, 11:35 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

Also replace the coolant elbows with aluminum ones

Old 02-18-2017, 11:41 PM
1 Year Member

Dang, the cost of this Chevy keeps going up!
Bought it back from the insurance company for $100. Put about $200 in junk yard parts and new gaskets in it. Before I know it I will be up to a $700 car!

Old 02-20-2017, 01:38 AM
1 Year Member

Internet kicked me off before my post could go through.
Update on the Monte:
I got the wiper motor replaced tonight, so now she will have wipers that should work. While I was working on that I happen to notice something that caught my attention. The large rubber tube that connects the air filter to the throttle body was hanging loose. So, for the last couple of days the throttle body was pulling air directly, not from the filter. So, I am wondering if this is what was throwing things off when she started it cold. It has been starting just a little hard, and running rough for a couple of seconds after starting when cold. Apparently someone must not have got the intake tube seated onto the throttle body properly and it came off.
It still has the water seeping out of the upper intake. Next time I have a few hours free I will be working on that. Then I still have the rattle in the rear suspension to figure out, and a clunking noise up front mostly when shifting into gear. Today the heater fan motor started making noise, so that will have to be fixed too. She thinks she will need the blower motor working.
Any thoughts on the idea that the intake pipe causing hard starting? By hard starting it just takes 2 or 3 seconds longer to start than before, and sometimes it will act like it starts then die right away. Once it is running it runs good.

Old 02-20-2017, 05:18 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Pull the upper intake off, there is a tube on the lower intake called a "stove pipe" for the EGR. Look on the upper intake where that stove pipe goes. It's common for that plastic to break down, compromising the coolant passages that go to and from the throttle body, leaking coolant into the intake. If you pull the upper intake with the throttle body still attached, run compressed air in one tube and you finger on the other and see if anything sprays out the EGR stove pipe.
If that is the source of the problem, get some brass plugs and tap/plug those ports on the lower intake (JB Weld the upper if you want to go for overkill). Cheap, easy, efficient and you will never notice a thing.

Old 02-21-2017, 03:19 AM
1 Year Member

Thanks, I will check that out when I pull the upper back off.
Getting the intake tube back onto the throttle body fixed the hard start and the rough idle problem.