Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Help pls?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 11:15 AM
Default Help pls?

Hello I'm new here but I bought my 05 mote carlo last year currently has about 150k miles and is a 3.4. So Here's the story, I needed some repairs and took it into shop. Afterwards I was driving everything was fine but when I got on the bypass I hit around 70mphs and my car wouldn't accelerate any more but the rpms kept going up. So I drive to where I'm going and I notice that when I stop my car starts jerking, after parking I have an issue starting it, I only got it to start by pumping the gas to keep the engine running otherwise it would just shut off. This type of jerking only happens when I run out of gas, which has happened three times due to my crazy ex girlfriend messing up my fuel gauge (always says its on e). Other than running out of gas I've never had a problem with the car, always started fine and NEVER had an issue accelerating.

That was about a week ago since than it works some days and other days it gives me issues the real issue is that I'm going on a 2,200 mile roadtrip in a week and. .. well you need a car to go on a roadtrip.

Also I know next to nothing about cars I did put some seafoam in the gas tank and got new fuel filters on it because someone suggested it may have something to do with the fact that my car runs out of gas from time to time and may need cleaning. Some one suggested a new fuel pump and I thought that could be the issue and although I know nothing about cars I don't' think that's the problem because once it gets going it doesn't have an issue with getting gas, it's when I stop that the issue starts.

I don't know let me know what you guys think, I'm taking it to go see a friend who is a mechanic tomorrow but the last friend I had look at it didn't know what was wrong.

And no check engine light is not on, however it was on before I took it into the shop because the EGR, I believe when I took it to the repair guys they said the pipes/lines to the EGR needed to be cleaned and cleaned them for me.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:27 PM

Could be the fuel pressure regulator, if not then most likely is the fuel pump. When mine would die in my Aurora, if I could get the car to restart, it ran fine after that. I ended up going through three fuel pressure regulators and five pumps.

Old 02-22-2017, 01:06 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2017

Originally Posted by 96z34man
Could be the fuel pressure regulator, if not then most likely is the fuel pump. When mine would die in my Aurora, if I could get the car to restart, it ran fine after that. I ended up going through three fuel pressure regulators and five pumps.
Bump on this. Could be either of those. I had a similar experience with my fuel pressure regulator. Replacing it solved the issue.

Old 02-22-2017, 05:00 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

I have read a few posts buy folks that have used the Seafoam and I think you have to watch this stuff and there is a procedure for using it.
First when you run the car out of Gas all the stuff that's in the tank flows into the fuel filters and the pump. This can cause a few issues. The thing that is good maintenance is to put some injector cleaner thru the tank every once in a while. Depending on how often you drive it every other tank. Something like Lucas oil fuel injector cleaner is a good one and it has improved the fuel mileage as well.

Sometimes when the Catalectic converter gets bad it will react something like this also.

Also check your Vacuum lines to make sure they are not disconnected. One time on my sons Monte the Vac line from the engine to the fire wall had came undone and he couldn't get it started, after a bit or research on the engine I found the line had fallen off, and wa-la put it on and she started right up. This was like a 3/4 inch hose.
Hope you are able to solve the issue. It is difficult to pin it to one thing unless you are there looking at it. You can't get it running you may need to call a tow truck, to get it to the dealer.