Engine/Transmission/Performance Adders Chat about your engine, transmission, nitrous, superchargers, turbos, and tuning.

Opinion Needed: What aftermarket rocker arms should I get ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 08:01 AM
Default What aftermarket rocker arms should I get ?

I have a 2005 Monte carlo LS and was looking to add a little power and was told to look for rocker arms. What exactly do they do and what is the benefit of getting better ones ? Also, what does the ratio mean ?

Old 01-30-2015, 03:03 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

rockers with a higher ratio will give more valve ligt. (will hold the valves open a hair longer and by opening them a little further, this will let more air into the engine and make more power) similiar concept as a cam but the reason a cam is better than rockers is because not only does the lift change but also the duration and lobe separation can be changed when changing the camshaft. downside to a cam is the labor to install one, rockers are a lot easier. keep in mind with a high ratio rocker you may need stronger valve springs and make sure the heads have enough clearance for the added lift. im not sure if yellaterra makes rockers for the 3400 but they make them for the 3800, i have a set and love them. also check harland sharp. hope this helps!

Old 01-30-2015, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by turbo monte
rockers with a higher ratio will give more valve ligt. (will hold the valves open a hair longer and by opening them a little further, this will let more air into the engine and make more power) similiar concept as a cam but the reason a cam is better than rockers is because not only does the lift change but also the duration and lobe separation can be changed when changing the camshaft. downside to a cam is the labor to install one, rockers are a lot easier. keep in mind with a high ratio rocker you may need stronger valve springs and make sure the heads have enough clearance for the added lift. im not sure if yellaterra makes rockers for the 3400 but they make them for the 3800, i have a set and love them. also check harland sharp. hope this helps!
Thanks a lot oh so knowledgable. Lol