Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 08:22 PM
Default RE: Wheels

if they have the same off set i would own them.
if they are steel or even chrome you might be abel to ge tthem buffed up and take any curb rash off of them that he also mentioned.
I have done that with aset of old crager wheels took them in and had them redone they looked great on the old monte. and when i got them they had no chrome left on them lol

Old 03-14-2008, 08:26 PM

ORIGINAL: SolaraSlayer

Isn't the Alero Oldsmobile's "Cavalier" version.
The Alero is a tiny little thing like the Cavalier but the Alero is 5 x 115 not 5 x 100 like the Cavalier, off set is the same but not the pcd.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:25 PM

Wheelguy,willthe wheels from a Grand Am fit, I have a concern with offset. Here are the wheels.

Old 03-22-2008, 02:23 PM

ORIGINAL: Sir Monte

Wheelguy,willthe wheels from a Grand Am fit, I have a concern with offset. Here are the wheels.

If this wheel is off a PRE 99 Grand Am they will not work. It's hard to tell from the picture but it kinda looks like an old RWD wheel & if that's the case then they will not.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:17 PM

These came off a 2003 Grand Am if that helps. I can get them for $100

Old 03-22-2008, 03:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Sir Monte

These came off a 2003 Grand Am if that helps. I can get them for $100
If they are 16" or bigger and your Monte is FWD you are good to go, not sure if 15" would hit the calipers.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:43 PM

Got all 4 for $75 with center caps.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:11 AM

I like the way those grand am wheels look more than the alero's.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:22 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The Alero is the Oldsmobile cousin to the Pontiac Grand Am. Both cars share the same frame, unibody, drive train, the whole works. Except for differences in interior, headlights, tail lights, etc...

The Alero is larger than the Cavalier/Cobalt. The wheels should physically fit, but may look odd to anyone who knows where they came from. The Alero wheels should look good with no problem. I agree the Grand Am wheels look sportier, but they're more popular and more recognizable as grand am wheels. You would probably get a lot of people noticing you have grand am wheels on your Monte. Kinda like putting Corvette wheels on a Mustang (I know they won't fit, but you get the idea).

If you haven't found out by now. Let me give you a heads up. The Alero and Grand Am are not real chrome. They are a standard aluminum rim (in the exact same shape of course), with a chrome colored piece of plastic glued on top.

I found this out the hard way, first hand. When I bought my '99 grand am gt brand new, the sticker listed the "optional chrome GT-specific" wheels as being a $450 option from the standard GT wheels. The standard GT wheels was the same thing, just in a brushed aluminum finish. It was a few months later when I poked my head under the car and looked at the back of the rim, that I noticed my $450 went toward glue-ing 4 pieces of chrome-colored plastic onto the standard GT wheel.

Yeah, I felt screwed. Complained to the dealership and GM. Apparantly so did many others too. The next model year, GM changed the description of the wheels. They gave them a copyrighted name of "chrome-tech" wheels. Fancy word for "chrome colored piece of plastic worth $1.50".

Wish I would have read this thread sooner. I would have told you to save up your money and get some similar wheels that are real chrome.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:27 PM

By all means they are not perfect. My wife has a 2002 Grand Am with only 23000 miles and she likes the rims as long as I can get the cleaned up. They were only $75 so the price was right.. As for the inserts I knew that with her wheels she has now. I need a good wheel cleaner to clean these as you can see by the pics. These wheels are what I call 20 footer meaning they look great at 20 feet.

Quick Reply: Wheels