Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Wheel Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 12:13 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Wheel Help

OK, so my Monte (in my opinion) has the crappiest style rim GM could have picked to put on it:
http://crzyz28.sytes.net/mycars/2004...e/IMG_2656.JPG

Now, I know my wheels are 16's, but I'm not sure how wide. I want to go to 17 inch rims and I want to keep the same width. I'm eyeing up these wheels:
http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Wheels-fo...-p5353321.html

According to OEWheelsllc.com, the ones I am interested in are 17x6.5. I'm not sure if I am measuring right, but I took a tape measure from the inside of my rim (while it's on the car) and measured edge to edge and it looks like I have a 7.5inch wide rim.

Can anyone tell me if I'm measuring wrong? And can anyone tell me if they dealt with wheels from OEWheelsllc.com and what they thought.

Thanks!

Old 06-24-2010, 12:35 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You must have measured wrong, your rims are 16x6.5

I believe a member or 2 has those rims on their cars. They look good, but the quality might not be the best.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:45 PM

Need to know stock rim sizes? Look here: http://www.vehicle-bolt-pattern.com/...nce-guide.html

Old 06-24-2010, 02:48 PM

10 Year Member

See, I had a feeling my rims are supposed to be 16x6.5 (again, i was measuring with the wheel on the car with the tire mounted to it).

I was looking at TireRack and saw two other wheels to catch my interest....
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...04&autoModClar=

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...04&autoModClar=

Just a lot of window shopping (as it stands, I think I'd be lucky to scrape up the money for the rims this year, much less for the tires). And if I was to order rims from TireRack, price wise, it only makes sense to get the tires from them....

I was curious of the quality of the wheels from the OEW (they seem REALLY cheap, so I question how much of that cheap falls into the quality). So I'd love to hear from someone that may have bought rims from them....

sportz - Thanks for that link!

I know ChibiBlackSheep knows enough about me to know, my mind is scatter brained and all over the place when it comes to my Monte!

Old 06-24-2010, 02:53 PM

15 Year Member

Those MODA rims are very nice. I'm not a big fan of the ASA's with all the fake rivets makes them look pretty cheap.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:48 PM

10 Year Member

Yeah, I lean on the MODA ones out of the two from TireRack (I like the ASA ones, if they did not have the fake rivets). The MODA measure 17x7.5 (according to what has been provided, that's 1 inch wider then the rim I currently have on my Monte, but the recommended tread width is still 225, which I believe is what I am rolling on now).

Wish I new a little more about these MODA rims, such as weight and if they are aluminum or steel (I've poked around the Internet some and haven't turned up much).

Old 06-25-2010, 08:36 AM

15 Year Member

Since you aren't looking to buy them RIGHT now, just wait a little bit.

They are listed as "new" still, so Tirerack I'm sure hasn't had the time to put the weight and all the factors in yet. You can't even buy them right now, it's a pre-order

Old 06-25-2010, 08:43 AM

IDK if your interested in chrome but have you looked into the MB drifters?? Also, A really great place to look for rims is: Discount Tire They always have sales going on and when you buy rims from them, they give you discounts off a new set of tires. I had mind put on and all parts labor for under 1000.
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/home.do
PS. Those ones you're looking into look GREAT also.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:57 AM
Thumbs up I bought Wheels from OE Wheels LLC

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
See, I had a feeling my rims are supposed to be 16x6.5 (again, i was measuring with the wheel on the car with the tire mounted to it).

I was curious of the quality of the wheels from the OEW (they seem REALLY cheap, so I question how much of that cheap falls into the quality). So I'd love to hear from someone that may have bought rims from them....

Hi,

When you measure the wheel for diameter or width the measurement takes place where the tire sits on the wheel - not edge to edge. When you measure edge to edge a good rule of thumb is to subtract and inch from each measurement, your wheel measures 17 x 7.5 edge to edge so the wheel size is 16 x 6.5. You can remove the wheel and the size and offset is stamped on the back of the wheel, offset is usually denoted by the mark ET.

OE Wheels is one of the best at what they do, they offer the same warranty as the original wheel manufacturers and they say it's beacuse they are made in the same plant using the same process. They are cheap because they make them and wholesale them out to places like discount tires and cruzin concepts, where they are marked up and people think it's a better quality because of the price being higher. Kind of funny when you know about it. (I worked at a discount tire for a couple of years.)

I only know cuz I was in your shoes looking at the same set of wheels, so I checked them out on ebay, their 99.8% feedback score from like 30,000+ people or so convinced me to buy a set for my luxury sport, and I was so pleased I tell everybody about them. I also bought my tires from them and they mounted and balanced them for free. They showed up and I opened the box and put them on right away. Still look sharp after 2 years.