Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

What's Wrong With Eagle RSAs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 12:59 PM

Thanks for the replies. The more I check into tires, the more my head hurts.

TireRack definitely has good selection and good prices, even on the RSAs. I was going there before to read reviews and info, but I thought it might be a hassle to buy there and find a place to install them. It looks like it may be pretty simple, though, so I think I'll try to pick a few possibilties from TireRack and then go talk to one of their recommended installers.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:45 PM
Default Goodyear RSAs

I am a police officer that drives an undercover Black Monte Carlo SS (2007) and used to only use the Goodyear RSAs. I was only getting about 15,000 miles out of them. (Yes I was getting tires every 9 months) I have switched to the Pirelli Scorpion Zeros and have not only saved over $100 per tire (Yes, the Pirelli's are cheaper than the Goodyears) I have gained about 20k miles of tire use. The RSAs are great for strong road racing at the track but not so great for everyday use. Think about switching to the Pirelli's. You'll be glad you did.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:54 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by PalmBeachMonte
I am a police officer that drives an undercover Black Monte Carlo SS (2007) and used to only use the Goodyear RSAs. I was only getting about 15,000 miles out of them. (Yes I was getting tires every 9 months) I have switched to the Pirelli Scorpion Zeros and have not only saved over $100 per tire (Yes, the Pirelli's are cheaper than the Goodyears) I have gained about 20k miles of tire use. The RSAs are great for strong road racing at the track but not so great for everyday use. Think about switching to the Pirelli's. You'll be glad you did.
seriously? thats badass an undercover monte, you should stick around, we can all use some police advice!

Old 07-24-2010, 10:23 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

post some pics of your undercover monte, that is if you can, would like to see how it looks! also what mods you have on it would be nice also If you can't beat em join them only kidding man

Old 07-27-2010, 11:03 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Just read reviews around the 'net. Not much good to say about them. You can get much better tires for the money.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:55 PM

So, after carefully considering evrybody's input, I ignored it all and bought the RS-As.

TireRack had my size for $99 for the same 97H rated ones as my originals. My main decision points were smooth ride and tread life, and so I figured that since I liked the originals OK, I'd stick with them.

I've put 250 miles on the new ones, some highway and county roads, and they feel nice and smooth and quiet, at least compared to my old ones. Now I'm wondering if the people who said the RSAs wear out quickly weren't talking about wearing down to the tread bars, but just wearing down to where they don't feel good anymore.

Old 08-08-2010, 05:01 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Only a 97H? Arent those for smart cars or something.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:00 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- May 2009
15 Year Member

I dunno, when i bought my monte with stock 16's, they had some brand called champion on them, those tires sucked (but the dealer put them on new for me). since i bought my 18's used here on the forum the tire tread was pretty slim when i got them (nexen 5000's). i had about 700 bucks to spend on tires, did some shopping and finally landed on the RS-A's since the firehawk GT wide ovals were out of budget. 245/45/18 Goodyears eagle rs-a's. i honestly, couldnt be happier. love the tire and for me, i dont seem to loose traction like i did with any tire i've had so far. then again, i dont deal with anything snow lol. so if thats what your going for, i have no opinion.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:56 AM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

When ever I have to replace the tires on the 03 (I only have just over 26k on them) I will probably put the RS-As back on - if they still make them when I'm ready to change them.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Enzo354
Only a 97H? Arent those for smart cars or something.
Yep, smartcars, electric cars, little girls' bicycles, etc all come with the 97H tires.

I considered V rated Eagle GT, they were even a few bucks cheaper, but the Goodyear guy talked me out of it. He said his buddy went from RSAs to GTs and they wore out a lot faster. I started to get the impression that different rim sizes, different cars, different driving styles, etc, get different results so that's why I just stuck with what worked OK for me on my car.

I've never gotten my '05 over 100 mph anyways, so the 130mph rating should be fine.

Quick Reply: What's Wrong With Eagle RSAs?