Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

What's Wrong With Eagle RSAs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 04:54 PM
Default What's Wrong With Eagle RSAs?

Hi all. I'm about to get new tires for my '05 Monte Carlo LT, standard P225/60/R16.

I have 70,000 (5 years) on the original Eagle RSA tires so I'm happy with that and I got similar mileage from the original RSAs on my previous car, '96 Monte Carlo, so I figured I'd just get a new set of RSAs, but everybody on here seems to hate them. I called my Chevy dealer and he wants to sell me Kumho KR22, says they are cheaper and better than the RSAs. I'd rather support an American tire maker even if it costs more, I just dont want to spend the next 5 years looking down and seeing Kumho on my car.

So, what's so bad about the Eagle RSAs? Are the GM original equipment tires different (better) than replacement RSAs?

I've read some people saying that RSAs are noisy, and I have noticed some chattering (for lack of a better word) noise at around 45 MPH but I don't know if that is the tire or the Monte.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:19 PM

No complaints here. 51,000 and still going. Great in rain, not bad in dry. Maybe with new tires i will hear the noise difference, but as of now it's no biggie for me.

Most tires are made in Japan now. Might look at Kelly. Made by goodyear, less money and i had a set on my T/A. Loved'em!!

Last edited by 03SSdriver; 07-21-2010 at 05:22 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:47 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Goodyear RS-As are just an inferior tire for the price. Their grip is sub par in rain and on dry pavement. They are completely useless in inclement weather. I have RS-As on my stock wheels, and when I was running them, from a stop I could peel out through most of first gear. With my new wheels and tires I can barely get a chirp. I have no confidence in them during spirited driving. They just lose grip too easily and suddenly. Almost put me into a ditch once while going through a tight corner and I didnt push it too hard. They broke loose and started spinning and I skid all the way to the edge before I got it straightened back out.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:25 PM

Monte Of The Month -- May 2011
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I couldn't give my SS any gas with the stock RSA's without breaking loose, especially in any type of moisture on the road. Personally I've never driven a car with tires that had worse grip than those tires. I am very satisfied with my Goodyear Eagle GT's now. RSA's are only expensive because some people are only comfortable buying the OEM tires.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:35 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

When I bought my 05 SS they had the original RSAs on them and they got 60k highway miles out of them. A week after I bought the car in Feb of 09 I immediately ordered the Goodyear GTs from tire rack and have been very happy with them.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:48 PM

The rsa tires were junk in rain snow and ice. I switched to general tire altimax hp's and couldn't be happier. Fantastic tire for the price of $88 each from tire rack

Old 07-21-2010, 11:41 PM

hmm im looking at Futura GLS Super Sport white letter tires, any opinions on them? they r 215/60/14

Old 07-22-2010, 09:18 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by 1984SuperSport
hmm im looking at Futura GLS Super Sport white letter tires, any opinions on them? they r 215/60/14
Do they have any ratings/reviews on tire rack about them? They compile user ratings and make a rating system about most of the tires they sell. Things like dry performance, rain performance, snow performance, noise ect. Thats a good place to look to get info on a specific tire.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:24 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

I didn't like the RSA's because they sucked in the rain. They always hydroplained.

Plus, for what you pay for the RSA's, you can buy much better tires for the same price, sometimes less.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by mrl390
Do they have any ratings/reviews on tire rack about them? They compile user ratings and make a rating system about most of the tires they sell. Things like dry performance, rain performance, snow performance, noise ect. Thats a good place to look to get info on a specific tire.
The Futura brand isn't available there, it looks like a wal-mart and pep boys brand tire.

Tire rack has a nice graphical rating of tire performance based on actual user experiences. you can check it out here.

Last edited by saigashooter; 07-22-2010 at 09:45 AM.

Quick Reply: What's Wrong With Eagle RSAs?