Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

What's better than NEW TIRES? I'll tell you what!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 07:57 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default What's better than NEW TIRES? I'll tell you what!

Just before Nationals this past summer I had to purchase some new wheels because my factory chrome wheels wouldn't hold air anymore. I had a full set of Kuhmo tires that we bought for the Solstice GXP, but they were so hard we pulled them to put on the Intimidator SS. (We went back to the stock Goodyear F1 tires, but that's irrelevant here.) So I bought these cheapo wheels from Discount tire 2 days before Nationals:
Name:  newwheels_zpsb5a454b0.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  145.3 KB

Wha-la! Paid for 245/45R18 tires on new rims! Life is good, right? WRONG!
This car is my daily driver "winter beater" or whatever you want to call it. I've put 180,000 miles in it and I drive it everyday rain or shine, or right now, SNOW! These Kuhmo tires are hands down THE WORST TIRES I'VE EVER DRIVEN ON IN THE WINTER! PERIOD!!!And in 44 years of driving in Michigan winters, THESE JUST PLAIN SUCK!

So I start looking for another set of snow/ winter only tires, and I find the Michelin X-Ice tires actually have a 40,000 mile limited warranty, and hey, they are MICHELINS! And for those of you driving in the snow and ice, all season tires JUST ARE NOT THE SAME AS WINTER TIRES!!! THERE IS NO COMPARISON!
Michelin X-Ice tires:

AND they are available from Tire rack FOR ONLY $209 per tire, plus shipping, warranty, and mounting, $1,023.62. WHOA!!! OUCH!

So I keep looking and thinking, and these Kuhmo tires really weren't too bad in the summer, AND another set of wheels would be nice, right? So I start digging around and looking for cheap wheels for the winter only, and I'm finding "cheap plain Jane steel wheels for about $70 each, but they only take hubcaps! YUCH!

So here's where it starts getting good in my opinion:

Tire Rack has 225/65R16 Michelin X-Ice tires for only $127 each, plus, plus, or ONLY $644.58 MOUNTED! WOW! But I still need wheels!

Good ol' Morad Parts Co. had a set of steel HD COP CAR WHEELS, option N99 WITH CENTER CAPS from an unmarked '04 Impala cruiser, for only $72 each, FREE SHIPPING, on Ebay! WHOA again! So I confirm they have 4 wheels, and they do, but instead of $72 each, I bought them for $265 for the set SHIPPED! WOW! I've always thought it would be kinda cool to run the cop car wheels, but I didn't want to go down to the 16's, until now. Check'em out:

This is the same wheel, different ebay auction:

So how does it get better? The 245/45R18 Michelins were $1,023.62. The 225/65R16 tires were only $702.58 mounted, and the Cop Car wheels were $265, totally $967.58!

I GOT THE COP CAR WHEELS WITH NEW MICHELIN X-ICE TIRES MOUNTED AND SAVED $56!!! NICE!!!

So I know this isn't every ones "cup of tea", but for right now, that's what's going on the Intimidator SS later this week. I'll post some pics.

I want to hear your comments good AND bad. WHAT DO YOU THINK???

So what's next? A push bar and a spot light? Tinted windows? I got a buddy with the spot light available! Morad gets push bars in occasionally, and guess what, THEY WOULD FIT! Hmmmmmm!

Last edited by RocknSS04; 01-06-2014 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:12 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Sounds like by spending a bit of time doing some research you saved yourself money, get a new set of rims in order to save your nice ones, and you now have tires that will actually serve the purpose of getting you where you need to go safely.

I'd say you did pretty good on that.

I would like to see a pic with them mounted on the car, just for curiousity sake.

I had to go and purchase winter tires for the wifes monte right before Christmas, we put brand new all seasons on the front of her car in August this year, and they are the absolute worst tires I have ever driven in the snow and I have owned approx 28 vehicles over the years, of all types (mostly muscle cars, but an occasional family vehicle) and have never had winter tires on any of my cars, but these tires were that bad, to the point where I was scared to have her driving it in this weather. Thankfully I picked up a pair of Goodyear Nordics for a ridiculously cheap price $100.00 as one of them had paint on it for the pair

Old 01-06-2014, 08:29 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

Good buy Wayne! I bought brand new Bullitt replica wheels and Yokahama snow tires shipped to my house from Discount Tire Direct for $950.00 last year and I'll tell ya snow tires are awesome!!!!

Old 01-06-2014, 09:23 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Sounds like you found a WINNER! You have wheels and tires that you were happy (or OK with) during the summer, but due to their crappy winter usage, you got some cop-car steelies and good tires to pull you through the winter season.

And even if the steelies don't look good on the Monte, your using them for winter, who cares. I don't see people in the "snow states" doing car shows in the winter. And now your summer rims will hopefully stay in better shape not being used in the winter!

BTW - I think it was BF Goodrich that had the Regatta tire line, it sucked. I've ALWAYS been happy with the Kelly Charger tires for an all season tire. And during the summer, my Monte rolls on 18's with Kumho tires. I don't know how they do in winter, but during summer, they are great (and my Monte is parked winters, so it doesn't matter how they do in the winter for me, lol).

Old 01-07-2014, 09:28 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think they'll look good. Maybe I didn't read it right, but where are your 077's?

Old 01-07-2014, 09:51 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hey wayne...sounds like you went thru some major chnges...cant blame you for getting snow tires...But I coulda saved ya some cash (and youd be styleing) I would have gldly sold you my Z-34 wheels (Locks and lugs and ctr caps) for cheap coulda saved ya at least 125.00.... But hey as long as your comfy with what you got its all good.... Just now we will all have piece of mind knowing you can get around safely in this crappy weather..

Old 01-07-2014, 06:09 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

Originally Posted by nitehawkjcb
I think they'll look good. Maybe I didn't read it right, but where are your 077's?
I still have the 077's, but one is split on the inside from hitting a piece of firewood while blinded from an oncoming vehicles lights. A second is bent. I can no longer buy them, and I haven't had them welded or straightened.

My factory chrome wheels just plain rotted away from the road salt. None of them would hold air.

And David, I've been wanting "Cop Car" wheels for quite a while.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:04 AM

i need to see pics of these installed! ive considered running steelies on my 06 lt. and i can relate, i live in toledo ohio and i just bought a set of bridgestone blizzaks, they are absolutely amazing, no comparison what so ever in the snow to regular tires.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:36 PM
Default Snow Tires

I drive my 06 Monte in the winter. I take my 20" rims off and put on 16" rims with Firestone Winter Force tires for the winter. These tire are amazing. as long as i don't bottom out with snow depth. these tires will get me to where i want to go. I have know regrets buying these tires.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:09 PM

Let's see some pics Wayne!

Quick Reply: What's better than NEW TIRES? I'll tell you what!