Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

trailing arm issue, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 11:07 AM
Default trailing arm issue, please help!

Hey guys, I have a 98 Monte Carlo z34. Now I have read some people reporting there trailing arms bending and even breaking in half. My issue is not with the trail arm itself but the bracket on the body it attaches to. It became so rusted in literally broke off. I figured I could wield it back on, but the metal is to rotted I don't think it would hold. I have no clue how to approach this, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Old 09-02-2012, 05:30 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Loom383
Hey guys, I have a 98 Monte Carlo z34. Now I have read some people reporting there trailing arms bending and even breaking in half. My issue is not with the trail arm itself but the bracket on the body it attaches to. It became so rusted in literally broke off. I figured I could wield it back on, but the metal is to rotted I don't think it would hold. I have no clue how to approach this, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
At 1 time I had 1 bend on me....But my mounts are solid.(mines a 99 Z-34)

If you happen to know anyone whos a fabricator..or maybe do it yourself...
Try grinding off the rust til you hit solid metal....and maybe you can re-box in that area...(reinforce)and then weld the mount back in the location where it belongs?... Hope this helps ....

Maybe someone else will chime in with a better idea?

Old 09-04-2012, 07:19 AM

I asked around thats what everyone is saying weld it in if you can. Thanks for the advice!

Old 09-04-2012, 02:57 PM

Is the bracket bolted onto the frame of the car? or is it welded? I know when I did my trailing arms on my 01 monte I unbolted the bracket that the trailing arm was bolted to. I'm not sure if its different or not :/ I could have just bought a new bracket for it since mine is just bolted onto the frame

Old 09-04-2012, 04:57 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Loom383
I asked around thats what everyone is saying weld it in if you can. Thanks for the advice!
Yvw and much success with your repair!
Happy to help...

Old 09-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by blueSS
Is the bracket bolted onto the frame of the car? or is it welded? I know when I did my trailing arms on my 01 monte I unbolted the bracket that the trailing arm was bolted to. I'm not sure if its different or not :/ I could have just bought a new bracket for it since mine is just bolted onto the frame
he is talking about where it bolts to the frame if i gather things right,

patching in a piece of metal may be your only option at this point,

is it just the mount that is rusted out or is it the floor pan that it attaches to?

if it is the floor pan a new piece of plate steal big enought to conect to to solid metal weld it in the weld your mount back on ( pull rear seats and carpet when doing this no need to start a fire)

if mount looking at my 01 a piece of rectangle tubing with part of 1 edge cut off would probably do the trick. cut enought where it has room to move then drill a hole for the bolt and weld it one

or worse care do both!

Old 09-05-2012, 08:08 AM

doesnt bolt in as far as I can tell. The floor is fine, just the box that the bracket sits in came off. Would the floor be strong enough for me to drill and bolt the bracket, or new/homemade bracket in? that would make it so i can drive it to my work to weld it. Thanks for the help so far guys!

Old 09-05-2012, 11:37 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

If this setup is anything like my '04 Monte, that "box" that holds the trailing arm bracket is part of a frame member....

It might be worth posting a couple pics.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:13 AM

Yes I believe it is, I post pictures on my control panel.
Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums - Loom383's Albums

Old 09-06-2012, 09:10 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

I think I would put it on a flatbed to take it to where your gonna repair it. I would make a pattern of the frame rail and build a new section. I am also wondering about the alignment of the mount. Maybe someone else who knows more about how adjustable the rear end is will have a tip on keeping it straight.

Quick Reply: trailing arm issue, please help!