Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Tire thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 02:45 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I got my tires through tirerack and I have had no problems with them. I love the Eagle GTs!

Old 06-14-2009, 04:39 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Wayne, are you sure the F1's are not being discontinued? If they are, usually Tirerack sells off the rest of their inventory really cheap...I've never had a problem with Tirerack!

Old 06-14-2009, 10:50 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Samuri65
Good day fellow Monte drivers...

I have been visiting this site for quite a while getting thoughts, ideas, and just reading what others are saying about their cars. I thought I would get your thoughts on a question about my car...

I purchased a 2004 SS 'Intimidator' in October of '97, and couldn't be happier. Simply, I LOVE that car. It rides nice, kicks in when you want it to, and just looks sweet!

Anyhow, I decided it was time I to get rid of the standard Goodyear RS-A tires and thought I would get the Goodyear Eagle GT's. I heard some good feedback from other sites, and thought they would do the trick. Long story short, I got them today, it they just feel rough. Nice in the city, but like going through gravel when on the open road.

So my question is, I know these are big 'beefy' tires, but should they be rough on the highway? I guess I was just expecting it to feel like driving on rails or something... Were my expectations too high???

I look forward to hearing your thoughts...
THANKS!

I read your other post where you said you're getting 2 of them replaced for being bad. Hopefully that clears up some of your discomfort.

I had Goodyear Eagle GT's on a previous car. I liked them. One thing about Goodyear tires. They are typically a harder tire, so they're going to feel slightly rougher than some other brands.

Your Intimidator edition Monte has the performance package, and should be set up for sport suspension from the factory. That usually make the ride a little rougher also.

The supercharged Montes (2004 & 2005) came with W rated Goodyear RS-A performance tires. But the W rating is a little overkill. Most members here will tell you the RS-A's installed by the factory are crap. Decent traction on dry pavement, but get the road wet and you're hydroplaning a lot. Ifound I spun the tires when trying to take off normally from a red light. Wasn't even trying to spin the tires.

I replaced mine with Toyo Versado LX tires. They're a luxury touring tire, so the ride is a little softer than a Goodyear tire.

You already bought the Goodyear GT's. Definitely keep them. But you'll have to get used to a little bit of a rougher ride. If you feel you can't live with the ride, then go with a touring tire. Touring tires have a softer ride.