Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Tire Pressure Monitoring System Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 07:50 AM

I bought my '07 LT from a dealer, so luckily it came with a 12/12 warranty. One week after buying the car, one of the tire pressure sensors went bad. They replaced it under warranty. A few days later, looks like another sensor is bad. It is at the dealer today. Warranty will only let them repalce those that are bad, so I am thinking about setting up a weekly appointment with the dealer until all four are replaced. Looks like these cost around $70 plus labor under warranty.

I know this system was mandatory in 2008, so it would be nice if there was a way to defeat this system. Sorry to hijack the thread, but I am frustrated with this issue. I guess the good news is that I am not alone!

Old 02-25-2011, 08:18 AM

taylormutts you didnt highjack the thread i am having the same problem as long as you check the pressure your self like i do you should be fine. i just hate the tpms my self gm should have not put it on there cars i feel like aouto manufacturers are makeing us be lazy on not checking the tire pressure properly by a true tire gage

Old 02-26-2011, 08:46 AM

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I am frustrated with this issue. I guess the good news is that I am not alone![/quote]

All comments welcomed. As I figured many have this issue and when I need to replace my tires I'll tell the mechanic to throw them in the trash....lol

Old 02-28-2011, 11:38 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Yeah I really wish there was a way to permanently turn off the message that displays each time I turn my car on.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:15 PM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

After I removed mine, I just cycled through the options on the dash until it gave me the option to re-learn the sensor position. Like after a tire rotation. After I did that, I have never had the problem with it coming up.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:24 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Originally Posted by MillerMonteSS
After I removed mine, I just cycled through the options on the dash until it gave me the option to re-learn the sensor position. Like after a tire rotation. After I did that, I have never had the problem with it coming up.
I've tried that a few times, and it hasn't worked. I've also went back to Discount Tire, who installed them, and their doohicky gadget dealy doesn't recognize them or something.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:05 PM

After the dealer replaced all 4 tire pressure sensors, the Service Tire Monitor System warning displayed again. Back to the dealer (thank goodness for that certified used vehicle warranty). Turns out the TPMS system is tied to the remote door lock receiver (ironically, I also noticed the range to unlock the doors was decreasing). GM has a bulletin on this issue, so the dealer installed a new receiver, a special antenna in the A-pillar and two new remotes. It appears to have corrected the problem (finally).

Old 03-19-2011, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by TaylorMutts
Turns out the TPMS system is tied to the remote door lock receiver (ironically, I also noticed the range to unlock the doors was decreasing). GM has a bulletin on this issue, so the dealer installed a new receiver, a special antenna in the A-pillar and two new remotes. It appears to have corrected the problem (finally).
Well that is very interesting...besides my TPMS not working I also have lost range on my remote...so maybe I have the same issue going on. Where can I find that bulletin ? Thanks for the FYI.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:15 PM

Just sent you a PM....give me your e-mail address and I will send the bulletin.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by TaylorMutts
Just sent you a PM....give me your e-mail address and I will send the bulletin.
Thanks Bill I received the document and I think the solution has been found.....
Bet there are many with the same issues and would be very interested in seeing this.
So here's a short take on it for the rest of you guys :
SUBJECT : Remote Keyless Entry & Remote Vehicle Start - inoperative, poor range.TPMS - service message. Replace/reprogram RCDLR, replace antenna and trasmitters. Dated 8/27/09
MODELS : 2006 - 2007 Monte Carlo & Impala and there is a few other GM models.
CAUSE : any of these may be caused by a internal fault with transmitters and or remote control door lock receiver software/hardware.
So bummer no mention of a recall so we on our own with the expense unless you have a warranty...ugh

Last edited by AAGL; 03-22-2011 at 11:11 PM. Reason: spelling error

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Monitoring System Issues