Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

slow leak- seal problem? 06 ss

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 04:44 PM

Monte of the Month -- August 2013
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default slow leak- seal problem? 06 ss

Hey guys,
I just got my 06 monte ss back in november and drove it for a month before all the snow here in Ontario began to fall. Since then its been stored away for the winter. We have had extremely cold weather here for the past few weeks. The other day I went into my garage and the rear passenger tire was almost flat. I'm almost positive I didn't get a nail in it, but I've heard aluminum rims have a history of leaking. Has anyone else had this problem with their stock rims on their ss. Anyone else had this problem in the cold weather? Possibly a seal problem? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:52 PM

Mine don’t leak at all. You probably picked up some kind of debris and it has a slow leak, or your tpms sensor/ valve stem is leaking.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:58 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2010
Monte Of The Month -- July 2013
IT HERTZ
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have never ha a problem with any of my aluminum rims on any of my cars having a slow air leak. I would air up the tire and get some soapy water and check the valve stem both around the bottom of the stem an remove the cap and try some soapy water there 2 and see if you get any bubbles and the you can go around the bead of the tire on the out side and the back side and check for leaks most tire shops are cool to check this for you also good luck

Old 02-10-2011, 05:01 PM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by LuSe4
Mine don’t leak at all. You probably picked up some kind of debris and it has a slow leak, or your tpms sensor/ valve stem is leaking.
Thanks for quick reply luse4.. Yea I'm gonna check into it. That's another thing.. How should the tire pressure be displayed on the info center all four of my tires show a reading of " - " even though I pumped them all full with the correct air pressure. I even did the test (forgot the exact thing is called) where the horn honks to measure the air but it remained "-" .. Should it actually be showing the exact pressure in the info center? Or is something wrong with my TPMs sensor?

Also, if u go with aftermarket rims do your have to have the tmps sensor placed on the new wheels?

Last edited by Slugger088; 02-10-2011 at 05:14 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:52 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

here are 2 pics from my car and the TPMS measurements... front right is dead on my car currently and if you switch wheels you need to transfer the TPMS sensors because they are inside the valve stems..

Old 02-10-2011, 06:03 PM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by monte carlo 3831
here are 2 pics from my car and the TPMS measurements... front right is dead on my car currently and if you switch wheels you need to transfer the TPMS sensors because they are inside the valve stems..

hey man thanks alot. Yea you see what your says for front right, well that "_" is whats showing for all my tires and I know for a fact it has the right amount of air as I checked them all with my tire pressure gauge. what do you think the problem is? all of them are dead? I mean i guess its not a big deal but it would be conveinent to know if im low by looking at the info center and I cant stand when something should be working and its not.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:25 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

I'd hate to think all of them are bad? There is some sort of re-learn procedure but I never messed around with it, can't help you there.. is the -- in the pic I posted the same as what you're seeing on yours? The symbol you posted is different in both posts that you made?

"_" and " - "

this is the current status of my TPMS sensors, because I had winter only tires mounted and took out the sensors, I'm going to get new wheels in the spring and I will get all new sensors then. they cost about $150 for all 4 at tirerack.com

current: front and back

Last edited by monte carlo 3831; 02-10-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:01 AM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by monte carlo 3831
I'd hate to think all of them are bad? There is some sort of re-learn procedure but I never messed around with it, can't help you there.. is the -- in the pic I posted the same as what you're seeing on yours? The symbol you posted is different in both posts that you made?

"_" and " - "

this is the current status of my TPMS sensors, because I had winter only tires mounted and took out the sensors, I'm going to get new wheels in the spring and I will get all new sensors then. they cost about $150 for all 4 at tirerack.com

current: front and back

Yea, the reading im getting is identical to the reading that is showing in the pics you posted the "--" on all four wheels. The car has hardly any milage on it so I doubt the tires were even changed but then again its possible. And as far as the relearn procedure I tried it twice and you have a total of 2 minutes to follow a certain procedure with all four wheels. Pretty annoying to be honest and the more I think about it, its not even that great of a feature and I'd rather just check it manually with a tire guage every weekend or something.

Last edited by Slugger088; 02-11-2011 at 09:04 AM.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:54 AM

there was a tsb for the tpms. malfunctioning. mine were replaced under warranty for a similar issue.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:44 PM

10 Year Member

Turns out the tire was already plugged twice and one of the plugs was leaking. The last owner must have made a habit of driving over nails. I replaced the plug that was leaking and we'll see if it holds up. The tires probably have another summer left, the treads are still pretty good but we'll see. Most likely getting some new wheels this summer anyway.

Thanks guys/