Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

to seal or not to seal a grage floor?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 08:10 PM
Photobucket
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default to seal or not to seal a grage floor?

well if you haven't heard we are moving back to the states .
With this also comes us getting a house. we are looking at a new home and thinking of different things we plan to do with it. I have said in the past that i hated grease spots on the floors.
Also i hate the look of a painted floor after a few years when everything flakes up.

So i ask is thee e sealer out there that will hold up to the abuse of a car parking on it all the time in and out of cold weather?

Also something that would help protect the floor is i were to drop something on it?
i tend to work on my own cars and plans are for a project car so i want something that can hold up to having jack stands on it for a extended period of time with out failure.

IS there anything like this that you have delt with?
what colors dose it come in?

If i can find somethign i can put it on the floors before anyone dives on to it. so i know that there is nothign on the floors unless it was there when we bought the home.

Old 01-14-2007, 08:46 PM
Default RE: to seal or not to seal a grage floor?

I used the 2 part epoxy on mine and it holds up amazing! Now, that being said, I like keeping my garage warm in the winter (its insulated). Now, most of my heat loss comes through the cold concrete floor. I just bought some rolls of industrial strength black carpeting, cut it to fit and voila, it helps to insulate the garage AND it protects the floor, AND its cheap! Gets a little dirty, just vacuum it!

Old 01-15-2007, 10:30 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

is just that you dont like that the paint flakes up or you dont like the look of a painted floor period.???? because there is a new product out now that i've only heard good things about...i can't remember what its called, but if your floor is perfectly clean and smooth and flat it is basically a primer you put on the floor, then you can put this sparkley stuff down on the floor, then you put like 5 or 6 coats of clear over top of it and from what i've seen it never peels or flakes, i think it comes with a pretty good warranty

Old 01-15-2007, 11:08 AM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

no i dot mind the look of a painted floor ust want to make sure tha ti dont have ot worry about slididng under the door of it when it gets wet.

but u plan to insulate teh grage also and also plan to seal teh floor. btu i also have a small heater i can set in there to heat it up and it is one the things i wish i could affored to do right now i would hav ethem run the heated floor tubes threw it and put a heated floor in there. so it was warm int eh winter. I also plan to look in to finding a way to cool it in the summen rso that i can be out there and workign ona car with out melting away.
dont need to be friged or the bahmmas but liviabel would be nice.

Thanks for the help on this. was also told about Rustolium has a version out to.
big thing is i wan tot beabel tocolor or tinti it also. thinking of goign wiht the chekerd pattren on it. not real sure yet.

Old 01-15-2007, 03:25 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

When my parents helped up my barn up (they got tired of all the cars in the drive) I insulated the K-rap out of the barn. It will stay above freezing inside with no heat source as long as outside temps don't go below say 10-15 drgrees. Even with a wind chill factor it stays above 32 degrees inside.

The concrete floor however is a source of cold.

I've thought of cleaning the floor real good and applying a coating you buy in a kit.But with the barn being the size it is I'dhaveto buy two kits to do the floor.

If I want to lay on the floorto do any car work I lay two old heating blankets down then an old sleeping bag on top of them. It tends to keep me nice n warm. [8D]

I just bought some rolls of industrial strength black carpeting, cut it to fit and voila, it helps to insulate the garage AND it protects the floor, AND its cheap! Gets a little dirty, just vacuum it!

This carpet interests me. Would you mind posting some additional information about it? Where it came from, how much carpet for the money spent?

Old 01-16-2007, 06:30 AM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

I'm tron on this the wife brang up a great point on this whole thing also
i was thinking of putting the Harley emblem in tot he floor in this on one side and the Chevy botie with the monte carlo script on it. for where the monte parks,

her point was if you do this then you will have to figure out how to get it up is we were to sell the house. as not everyone rides or has a
G.M. car so the bow tie might offend. go figure i married the only one out there that has to be a ford lover in hiding lol

Old 01-16-2007, 10:41 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I hate it when they say things that make sense.

I figure if I let her keep this up, pretty soon she'll be smart enough to leave. [sm=badidea.gif][sm=boohoo.gif]

Old 01-17-2007, 01:32 PM
Photobucket
15 Year Member

yeah i hear ya LO L
now i just have to find a paint that will hold up for more then a month or so.
i would like it to last for a while so im not doign it ever spring.

Old 01-18-2007, 10:13 AM

here's the stuff you're thinking of... I know the Home Depot's around me sell it...

http://www.ucoatit.com/main.htm

Old 01-18-2007, 09:43 PM

i work for a concrete supply place so i can get all the inustrial concrete stains an sealers

Quick Reply: to seal or not to seal a grage floor?