Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Shocks-Strut + Parts Search $'s

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 06:53 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Shocks-Strut + Parts Search $'s

[align=center]Shocks and Strut Replacement[/align][align=center]
By BY T.TORBJORNSEN[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I'm sure you've probably heard this before. "Your shocks and (or) struts are blown and need replacing." You are quoted some astronomical price and you immediately ask yourself, "How important are these things ... do I really need to replace them?" These are good questions that deserve our attention.

First of all, it is important to note that not all vehicles have both shocks and struts. Some have just struts and some vehicles have only shocks. Shocks are part of the overall suspension, and a strut is a complete suspension assembly.

The shocks and/or struts in your car perform two functions. They dampen spring oscillation, and secondly, they aid in ride control. Let's look at these two jobs in more detail.

The springs in your car actually absorb road shocks (not the shock absorbers). Surprised? The shock absorber's function is to dampen the bouncing spring. If you did not have shock absorbers to dampen the spring oscillations from road shock, your car would turn into a "bucking bronco" every time you hit a bump in the road, making it very difficult to handle and dangerous.

The shock absorbers in your car aid in ride control by keeping the car manageable during regular driving. They do this by keeping the tires down on the road and not allowing them to bounce after hitting a bump. This allows for ease of cornering and handling.

Here are the signs that you may need new shocks and/or struts:
[:-]
[/align][align=center][/align]

[ul][*][align=center]Vehicle rolls or sways on turns [/align][*][align=center]Front end dives when braking [/align][*][align=center]Rear end squats when accelerating [/align][*][align=center]Vehicle bounces or slides sideways on a winding, rough road [/align][*][align=center]Vehicle "bottoms out" (with a thump) on bumps[/align][/ul][align=center]
In addition, worn shocks and/or struts can accelerate the wear of your tires and suspension parts ... the ball joints, steering linkage, springs and C.V. joints.

Preventative checkups are the key to side-stepping the effects of worn shocks and/or struts. Have your technician check them every time you have an oil change.

Things to look for:
[/align]

[ul][*][align=center]Leaks on the housing [/align][*][align=center]Dents on the shock or strut body [/align][*][align=center]Worn rubber mounting bushings [/align][*][align=center]Pitted piston rods [/align][*][align=center]Crushed rubber bumpers from "bottoming out" [/align][*][align=center]Abnormal wear on tires (high and low spots)[/align][/ul][align=center]
Don't "cut corners" when it comes to your shocks/struts. Proper functioning of these parts is essential to the handling and cornering of your vehicle, making for safer driving conditions.

'Til next time ... Keep Rollin'
[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Member's `Post your thoughts,[/align][align=center]experience. Have you changed your Strut's/Shocks ?[/align][align=cente

Old 03-29-2008, 07:17 AM
Default RE: Shocks & Strut Replacement

Good post, 'Space. Very informational. I am VERY fortunate, the previous owner of my Monte replaced front and rear struts for me. Well, not for me, persay, but I bought it after they were replaced. lol.

Old 03-29-2008, 01:43 PM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Shocks & Strut Replacement

[align=center]Below is a site to get an estimated cost[/align][align=center]of what parts you need.[/align][center][:-]
Chevy Monte Carlo Struts

Selected Make: Chevy - Selected Model: Monte Carlo

Select Chevy Monte Carlo Year

[u][IMG]http://www.partstrain.com/templates/pt/images/design/arro