Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

refinishing

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 10:08 AM
Default refinishing

i'm looking to refinish the rims on my monte, they aren't to bad right now, but i want them to look good, i dont know if i want to do them myself unless they are really easy, so heres the questions, if i were to do them myself, what would you recommend i use as a paint in a spray can preferably, and how many coats i should do to prevent any chippingproblems, and is there a sealer or anything like that to paint over it to prevent any future problems. and in the end, what tires do you guys recommend that i wrap them in, i'm going to be bringing this car to the track every once in a while, so i want something thats going to give me more traction there but equal just driving on the road, i heard that pirelli p0nero, if i'm saying that correctly are pretty good tires for that cause. Any feedback on the assumption? thanks in advance

Old 03-31-2008, 03:24 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member
Default RE: refinishing

What are your rims, aluminum or steel? If they are aluminum I would let a shop do it. It is hard to paint aluminum and have it last, especially if you paint it with a spray can. If they are steel you shouldnt have a problem doing it yourself. Get a rust inhibiting paint like duplicolor rust fix or something of that nature. Just rustoleum paint should work too. I would use a flat or semi-gloss paint for color and then clear over it to give it added protection.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:35 PM

personally, if I was to paint the rims myself, id do a good 5+ LIGHT coats, to make a good non-blotchy look to it. plus, it will make sure there are NO drips. any drips will look horrible, and are pretty much unfixable without a LOT of work.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:12 PM

go out to the dupont web site. they ahve wheel paint and also show a video on how they do it with this paint etc.. some slick stuff and from wha ti ahve heard it is pretty good paint also.