Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Is road noise common with Monte Carlo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 08:14 AM
Default Is road noise common with Monte Carlo?

I recently bought a 2001 LS with less than 15K original miles. Still has the same tires on it that came from the factory. The front tread is getting thin, but the back tires are hardly worn. Anyway, this is my first Monte Carlo and I'm finding that it seems to have a lot of road noise. There's a distinct noise that seems to change frequency as the car changes speed. Could be a tire or bearing I suppose. The car has very low mileage, but it's still a 15 year old car. I'll probably go ahead and replace the front tires since they're showing the most wear, and then just go from there. These Monte Carlo's sit low to the ground and have a wide profile tire, so I'm just wondering if a bit of road noise is something that owner's of these cars just has to get used to.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:39 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've never noticed any road noise in mine. I'd say either tires or maybe the bearings are worn.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:48 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
Smile

Road noise is common with most cars, most of the time is is caused by the Tires, or some bad weather strip some place.
Recently I traveled on I-80 to Des Moines, IA and the road creates a singing noise very annoying most likely a grove in the highway to reduce the highway being slippery. I don't think it works. I experienced it with 2 different vehicles and different tires.
If you get new tires I recommend if you can't replace all of them that you do it in pairs.
If a tire becomes (cupped) it will have a bit of a thumping noise to it. when it gets cupped it is from a balance issue or alignment. Providing you keep your air pressure the same. I think 32 lbs. up to 35 is common on the Monte Carlo.
I had this Lady Friend who liked the Impala's that I drove so she ended up buying one.
She had a wheel nearly fall off one day, can't imagine she didn't feel the thing vibrating??
Any way she put on new tires, I thought the other ones were fine. But I recommended she get an all wheel alignment. She never took my advice. Heck, I only have 3 million miles under my belt, what would I know, huh? So flash forward 2 years and she is about to go on a vacation and drive. She calls me up and says her tires are junk and they have less that 7K on them from new. She says to me " did you know that when you put on new tires you need to have an all wheel alignment done"? I said yes. I mentioned that when you got them tires new. Silence........ She told me the story of what happened. I asked her why the tire dealer didn't recommend the alignment? Silence........
The moral of the story is get the Balance and the alignment. Get the tires at a shop that does road hazard, and free balance every 3 to 5K. Pick your tires wisely, you can ask other drivers who have ( Blank brand Tires ) how noisy they are. I have Goodyear's on the Monte and Michelins on 2 SUV's and they are real quiet. Hope that helps some. I get mine at Sam's club they do the Balance and road hazard stuff, Costco will also. I am sure other tire stores will too. The local guys in my home town are clueless so I don't bother with them.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:52 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
Talking

I was watching Velocity Channel and they had a bearing issue not long ago and to check for that. Jack the car up and then try to rock the tire from end to end side to side if this has a bunch of play in it, you may want to have it looked at. My Dad kinda said the same thing way back when. Or you can do a youtube search.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:13 PM

Thanks for the helpful feedback guys!

Old 03-30-2015, 09:19 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member

Dale II is right. Tires are the most common cause for road noise. I have no clue what tires were original on the 6th gen Monte. But what ever they are you can look them up online and check out their Ratings and reviews. One of the things tires are rated for is Road Noise. But ever Tires that are rated Low noise will pass more noise into the car as the wear. We don't notice it almost until we notice it's time to replace the tires.
I doubt your Hub Bearings are bad. With only 1500 miles on the car. But with only 1000 miles, Average for your car, it is possible, considering that your front tires are bad. It can't hurt to check them out. That may indicate you need a wheel alignment.