Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Which all season tires are the BEST?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 09:00 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Which all season tires are the BEST?

After wrecking my Intimidator a week ago, cause of wore out tires, I figure I better get new tires when I get it back, probably next Saturday. SO, what do I get?
A while back I did a little research, and narrowed it down to 3 tires: Bridgestone Turanza, a 700AA tire for $122 for a 215/65 HR17,6.5x28", 30#, Goodyear Assurance Tripletred, a 740AB tire for $138 for a 235/55 HR17, 7.5x27.2", 31#, stock size, or a Michelin Hydroedge, a 800AB tire for $125 for a 225/60 TR17, 6.5x27.6", 28#, or for $126 a 215/60TR17, 6.5x27", 25#. I'm still checking on others, as I did this check a couple of months ago.
BTW, this info is from Tire Rack, as I will drive to South Bend to have them install them. I have a $30 credit there, and see if YOU can beat these prices!
I want your opinions please.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:59 AM
Default RE: Which all season tires are the BEST?

[align=center]Hi `Wayne,[/align][align=center]I think Tire Rack has fair prices, & good service adjustments[/align][align=center]on purchased tires. I like the below tire, & I will search[/align][align=center]for lower prices on the tires you listed.[/align][align=center]Good Luck to you, and your awesome Monte SS.[/align][align=center]Oh, look forward to new pic's when your Monte is completed.[/align][align=center]I sure hope that the doctor's that have your Monte do excellent[/align][align=center]work on their repairs...Good Luck `Space[/align]
[:-]

Pilot Sport A/S
The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S was developed to be the Ultra High Performance All-Season tire that provides all-weather traction while minimizing compromises in dry and wet road handling to complement the performance of sports cars, coupes and sedans that require year round traction even in light snow.
Will These Tires Fit My Vehicle?

Old 02-16-2008, 11:05 AM

My brother in law has the TripleTred and they are awesome. I'm getting them in the next few weeks myself.

I normally drive the truck in the winter, but in case something happens I want the Intimidator to have a good grip so I don't have your problem.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:00 AM

I put TripleTred's on my truck, and that sucker seems like it's glued to the road. When it's raining, puddles and pools of water are nothing, (no "grabbing and pulling" when you hit a puddle, it won't hydroplane like with originals), and snow traction is outstanding.

When I put new tires on the 99 later this year, they will be TripleTred's.

I did seem to lose about 1 mpg, but with a truck, I hardly notice, and to me the extra traction in bad weather is worth it.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:40 AM

[align=center]Hi Wayne, this is the best deal I could find on the Web. I stilllike TireRack : ) Good Luck.[/align][align=center][:-]
SKU
SIZE
PRICE
235/55HR17
$137.00

Assurance TripleTred

Touring All-Season

The Goodyear Assurance TripleTred has taken tire technology to a new level with the introduction of the Assurance brand of passenger tires. Assurance featuring TripleTred Technology offers added peace of mind in ANY weather condition, and Assurance featuring ComforTred Technology offers a smooth, quiet and luxurious ride. Exceptional durability and long tread life. Gripping power on icy or slick roads. Propels water off the tread and away from the tire. Confident maneuvering around curves, potholes and unexpected road debris on dry pavement.

UTQG Rating

Treadwear
Traction
Temperature

740 A B[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]https://www.tiresavings.com/tireShop...n=findCombined[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Oh, one thing my grandfather taught me was to always check[/align][align=center]the build date of the tire. Don't want one that's been sitting in[/align][align=center]a warehouse for several years....Good Luck on your tire purchase/life : )[/align][align=center]`Space[/align]

Old 02-18-2008, 07:15 AM

I got the ones for my truck at Sears when they had a sale, I think they were about 125 apiece. Just look at their weekly ads, they have sales all the time.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:26 AM

[align=center]Tire Basics [/align][align=center]Choose the right tires [/align][/align][align=center]

by Mike Bumbeck
Driving to and fro, it's often easy to forget about the most basic of things that make the motoring miracle possible. One of the pivotal innovations in the history of the modern automobile was that of the pneumatic tire. Invented for use first on bicycles, the pneumatic tire eventually found its way onto the wheels of the then new automobile. The air-filled tire has proved an invaluable part of automotive progress. Oddly enough solid rubber tires were preferred over their air-filled pneumatic counterparts by the horse-drawn Brougham and Buggy crowd. So it goes.
Rolling Progress [/align][/align]
While the technology of tires and tire manufacture has indeed progressed, the basic principle behind the pneumatic tire hasn't changed all that much over the years. A cushion of air inside the tire in combination with the materials and construction of the tire itself work together to not only let the car roll with minimum resistance but allow it to do so on a cushion of air. The compounds and materials in the tire tread and sidewall work with the suspension to keep the tire on the road surface and maintain vehicle control. It is the materials and construction of the tire itself that varies from tire to tire. Choosing the right tire starts with determining what type of driver you are, and type of driving you're going to do.
New Shoes
[/align]
As anyone who has recently had to put a new set of tires on their vehicle can attest, new tires can be a pricey proposition. While saving money on tires is right up there with skimping on brake parts or buying day old Sushi, spending too much on the wrong tires makes no sense either. The solution is to fit your vehicle with tires that not only suit the vehicle, but also your driving style or conditions at hand. The easiest and often most prudent choice to make is to put the same size, type, and rating of tire that your vehicle came from the factory with. The engineers with the white lab coats and pocket protectors with your vehicle's brand name on them usually know what's best. While stock replacement may be the easiest route, some vehicles come with a model designation of tire only available for that vehicle, and only from the dealership. Not to worry. A replacement is as easy as rolling into a tire of the exactly the same size and rating.
New Math
[/align]
While choosing the correct diameter of tire is an obvious choice, there is almost an algebra book's collection of number and letter designations on the sidewall of a modern tire. The biggest one is the most important and usually goes something like P235/70R15 87H. Reading from left to right the translation is this. The P stands for passenger. Easy. The 235 is the width of the tire in millimeters. The 70 is somewhat tricky. This number is the tire's aspect ratio, or percentage of the width that is the tire's height. A 70 series tire is 70 percent of the tire's width tall. The higher this number, the taller the tire, and vice versa. The R stands for Radial. Easy again. The 15 is the wheel diameter the tire will fit. The far right number is the load rating, and the final letter the speed rating. The higher each one of these the greater load and speed the tire is manufactured to handle. There is another and oft spoken of number called the treadwear rating. This number gives an idea on how long the tire will last, or how fast it will wear out—depending on how you look at it. Read on.
Grip Versus Wear
[/align][center]Tire wear is dependent on the blend of natural and synthetic rubbers the tire itself is made from. The recipes for these blends are what make the tires perform in one

Old 02-18-2008, 07:34 AM

When buying new tires, check the built date
on the tire
(Don't want to buy 6 year old new tires : )
DOT Code
The DOT Code is an alphanumeric character sequence molded into the sidewall of the tire for purposes of tire identification. The DOT Code is mandated by the US Department of Transportation. The DOT Code is useful in identifying tires in a product recall.
The DOT Code begins with the letters "DOT" followed by a two numbers or letters plant code that identifies where it was manufactured. The last four numbers represent the week and year the tire was built. A three-digit code was used for tires manufactured before the year 2000. For example, 178 means it was manufactured in the 17th week of 8th year of the decade. In this case it means 1988. For tires manufactured in the 1990s, the same code holds true, but there is a little triangle (Δ) after the DOT code. Thus, a tire manufactured in the 17th week of 1998 would have the code 178Δ. After 2000, the code was switched to a 4-digit code. Same rules apply, so for example, 3003 means the tire was manufactured in the 30th week of 2003.
Other numbers are marketing codes used at the manufacturer's discretion
Additional Tire INFOR

Old 02-23-2008, 08:52 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Goodyear TripleTreds it will be! Thanks for the input. Hopefully going on next weekend.Don't have my car back from the body shop until Monday.

Old 02-23-2008, 06:31 PM

To be honest, I know you don't have the tire I put on mine as an option, I would consider the Goodyear Eagle F1 All season. They aren't much more than the assurance, and handle better, as well as have a higher speed rating... not that u'd ever go that fast, it's still nice to know....

but if Eagle F1's don't entice you, then the Assurance is the way to go! (

Quick Reply: Which all season tires are the BEST?