Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

question to those with aftermarket rims

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 10:10 PM
Default question to those with aftermarket rims

I tried general but thought id try here too incase someone here maybe does not check general as often. Ever since installing my new rims I have this vibration at about 60mph. The wheels were balanced and they are the correct bolt pattern. My car was not out of alignment and still drives straight so for now I am ruling that out. Now I did some research online and found out that it could be possible that I need hubcentric rings? I was wondering if any of you that have aftermarket rims use these rings and if that makes a difference? Now also if I do need them where do I get them?

Old 04-28-2008, 07:42 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member
Default RE: question to those with aftermarket rims

what size rims do you have? some people were telling me i'd need hub centric rings, but if the rims are the right bolt pattern and they seat properly then you dont need them, but there's so many different options that fit your car that could be what it is, maybe you got 5 on 114.3 or 5 on 115, i'm not sure what the exact one you want is, i think its the 5 on 115, but if you got the other one then you will need the hub centric rings, pick up a set of them...they're easy to install...maybe that will fix the problem

Old 04-28-2008, 07:44 AM

Hub rings are just to help center the wheel when installing, at 60 I would still say it's a ballance issue. You can get the rings at any place that sells after market wheels. They will probably have to order them but they can get them. I assume you bought new tires so cupped tires wouldn't be the problem. We don't use rings on cars unless they have this problem, most of the time it's a Benz or BMW not a Chevy. If you get the rings from the place that you bought your wheels they should be free, every wholesaler I have worked for has given them away with a set of wheels if needed.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:34 AM

WhenI first installed my SS wheels I had the very same problem. The tires were new and balanced. I would get to 60mph and the front end would shake like crazy. It would get worse as I got to 80mph. I took the vehicle back to the place that installed the tires. They rebalanced all four and it resolved the problem for a couple of months. I then decided to take my car to another place that had the updated balance machine and alignment. They rebalanced and I havnt had any problems since.They did tell me that that pot holes, speed bumps ect. can also throw your wheels out of balance quick. Also if you had ever braked hard to prevent an accident, this can leave a flat spot on your tires which will make your car shake. It makes the front tires worse as the forward motionputs more force there. So I would have my tires rotated as the flat spots wouldnt be that noticable in the rear.