Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

6th Gen ('00-'05): question with "pulsing"-feeling brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 10:17 AM
Exclamation question with "pulsing"-feeling brakes

two days ago i posted that when i brake in my Monte (an 02 monte ss) that it makes a pulsing feeling. the answer I got is that they could be warped rotors.

I was thinking about this and since I live in Minnesota, and the car was in storage all winter, could it be because of that and they need to be used a bit to get "worn in" in a way since it is so cold? it was taken out of storage in the spring and driven up until a few weeks ago about once or twice a week, then i got my license about a month ago and have been driving it daily.

---> do you think i still do have warped rotors or did they just need to be broken in from sitting for a while?

Thanks,
MonteCarloSS02

Old 08-17-2014, 12:19 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I go for the warped rotor. If there are no rusty patches on the rotor I don't see what breaking in could do.

Replacing the rotors was one of the first mechanical things I have done in over 25 years, was easy peasy.

Old 08-17-2014, 02:34 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've seen where rust accumulates on the rotors and they squeak for a while. But not Pulsate.
Pulsating could be Warped rotors. Did the pulsating start as soon as you took the car out this spring or soon after that. Either way I think getting your rotors cut and putting on some new pads would be a good idea!
The other thing it could be is a bad ABS sensor. But that should cause a CEL code to come up.
Good Luck!

Old 08-17-2014, 07:30 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Barovelli and JC are both correct!

Storage doesn't cause warping.... They warp due to improper break in after replacement or constant hard stops after starts.... or high speed stops (freeway driving)..

Either way is the only resolve for warped Brake rotors...

Driving it more like it is..Will just increase the warping.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:22 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The term 'warped rotor' gets thrown around quite a bit , but is actually a misnomer. It is very rare that a good quality rotor will actually warp. What happens is some of the friction material from the pad gets displaced to the surface of the rotor - usually caused by improper break in. This creates high spots on the rotor and gives you a pulsing or 'warped' feeling when you apply the brakes.

If the car was in storage more then likely rust formed on the rotors. If it wasn't cleaned off prior to moving the car it could have accumulated on the pad surface. Before purchasing new rotors I would tear apart the front brakes, clean, inspect then reassemble. While you have the rotors off have then checked for runout and (if needed) resurfaced. That will depend on the overall thickness of the rotor and how much friction material has been displaced. The pulsing you are feeling may be resolved with just a good cleaning that insures all the rust has been removed from the rotor and the pads are clean.

Last edited by 03SSLE; 08-18-2014 at 08:25 AM.