Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Is putting on new rotors/breaks hard?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 09:02 AM
Default Is putting on new rotors/breaks hard?

Thinking about doing this myself. I bought new front rotors and duralast ceramic brake pads. Do I need any special tools to perform the job?

Old 12-12-2010, 10:55 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

You will need a breaker bar, some PB blaster and the correct size sockets and possibly a large Torx drive. I know mine used a torx to remove the front caliper brackets. You dont need to remove the brake lines. Just remove the caliper brackets and calipers in one until. Pull the old rotors off. Clean the new rotors with brake cleaner before putting them on. Use the old pads and a C clamp to open up the pistons in the calipers. Then install your new brake pads the correct way into the calipers. Then just reinstall the calipers and brackets like you took them off. I dont know if the rear calipers on the newer montes have the parking brake inside the rotor like some cars do. I know mine didnt. Before you take the car out to break in the pads and rotors, pump the brakes to make sure they are properly adjusted and make sure they will stop the car before taking off.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:02 AM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It shouldn't be too difficult. However, brakes are such an important piece of safety equipment that you need to be extra cautious. Good luck.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by mrl390
You will need a breaker bar, some PB blaster and the correct size sockets and possibly a large Torx drive. I know mine used a torx to remove the front caliper brackets. You dont need to remove the brake lines. Just remove the caliper brackets and calipers in one until. Pull the old rotors off. Clean the new rotors with brake cleaner before putting them on. Use the old pads and a C clamp to open up the pistons in the calipers. Then install your new brake pads the correct way into the calipers. Then just reinstall the calipers and brackets like you took them off. I dont know if the rear calipers on the newer montes have the parking brake inside the rotor like some cars do. I know mine didnt. Before you take the car out to break in the pads and rotors, pump the brakes to make sure they are properly adjusted and make sure they will stop the car before taking off.

I just got done putting them on and it wasn't that bad. Only thing I didn't do was clean the new rotors with brake cleaner. Will that negatively affect my braking?

Last edited by DadeCountyMonte; 12-12-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:29 PM

http://www.ehow.com/how_4610257_use-...t-cleaner.html

check out this link. I always do it before and after any brake job. it's less than 5 bucks so it will only help.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:58 PM

Thanks Albert.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:28 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by DadeCountyMonte
I just got done putting them on and it wasn't that bad. Only thing I didn't do was clean the new rotors with brake cleaner. Will that negatively affect my braking?
Its not that big of a deal. I forgot to clean mine when I put them on too. Mine squeak when they get hot but I think its just cause Napa sells terrible rotors. Shouldnt cause a problem tho.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:58 PM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

How are the new brakes working out?

Old 12-14-2010, 08:06 PM

how do you do the back brakes and rotors mine sound like metal to metal also how do you adjust the e-brake

Old 12-14-2010, 10:19 PM

how do you do the back brakes and rotors mine sound like metal to metal also how do you adjust the e-brake
Back brakes are just like the front. Jack the car up, remove the wheel, remove the brake caliper, remove old rotor, compress the caliper, then remove the old pad from the caliper. Reassemble it all with the new parts, put the wheel back on and lower the car.
I'd have to look up how to adjust the e-brake, there should be a cable running to one of the rear brakes from the front with an adjuster on it but I've never done it on a monte so I'm not sure exactly where it is.