Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Product Review: Akebono Street Performance Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 09:22 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Product Review: Akebono Street Performance Brake Pads

Alright my Monte Carlo brothers... a few months back my rotors were warped, the vibration was getting worse, and I had to replace the front brakes. I spent some time researching brakes, and decided to try out the new Akebono Street Performance Pads.

I've had them for a couple of months and about 1500 miles. So far, so good!! They are well worth the $100 (roughly) that I had to spend with shipping to get them. I put them on with some Duralast Brake Rotors (they are actually made by Aimco, racers used to use them), and see how it does. There were very few reviews for these brakes as they are a new product, but all other reviews for Akebono were very good. Plus, these new brakes were rated better in noise and stopping power on TireRack than the Pro-ACT's so I decided to give them a shot.

I was AMAZED first by just how low they dust... MY REAR BRAKES DUST WORSE THAN MY FRONT BRAKES NOW!!!!!! That's right,I coudln't believe it either. But hwen I go to wash my car now, I pay close attention. My rear brakes dust worse than the front brakes. The pedal feel is a more consistant now, especially in stop and go traffic in town. The brakes never changed much anyway, but these Akebono's are more consistant and apparently they run cooler.

They seem to stop you a LITTLE faster than the stock... not night and day difference, but there is a little bit better stopping power in these brakes.

Then there is the issue of the noise, or the lack thereof. So far, I have heard not even as much as a peep out of my brakes. They are very quiet and very smooth. My old brakes sounded like an 18 wheeler... I actually noticed a couple of people turning hteir heads when I stepped on my brakes before... that was embarassing. However, these Akebono's have beenvery quiet thusfar.

They also look neat.. they have these little cooling fins between the two sections of pads which are pretty cool.

Overall, I am very satisfied with my purchase and would have no problem recommending Akebono Street Performance Pads to any member of this forum or elsewhere.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:24 PM
Default RE: Product Review: Akebono Street Performance Brake Pads

Thanks, Cowboy. I'm getting close to replacing my pads and think I'll try these.I have Hawks now and am happy with them, but they do produce a little more dust thanI like. They have lasted approximately 50,000+ miles, even with occasional hard braking, so I can't complain.

I wonder what Space would think? Where's Space when you need him? I could use a link or two to a forty page, full color review of these brakes, the history of MC brakes, how to replace brakes on a MC, and then end it with a editorial on the role of MC brakes in helping with world (and other worldly) peace.

Come home, Space, we need you!

Old 06-27-2008, 01:40 PM

and where did you purchase these pads duane d00d

Old 06-27-2008, 04:43 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

www.tirerack.com

i don't know what your braking habits are church, but i baby my brakes. i have took them out on country roads and tried them out without a problem though...