Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

poly/ stiffened suspension

Old 03-07-2012, 08:22 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default poly/ stiffened suspension

Hey all, I haven't been on here in a while... been really busy.

Ill cut to the chase on this, I need new tie rod ends on eleanor, but I want to stifen the ride of my suspension as I go along with everything.

I can't find anything online except OE replacement stuff... help please.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:39 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I know your Monte is a generation before mine, but perhaps what I've done so far will be of value.

I replaced my front sway bar end links and sway bar bushings with Energy Suspension poly bushings (over the counter at the parts store). Here's a link on my web site about it:
'04 Monte Carlo SS - Front Sway Bar Bushings

The stuff I got was over the counter (I could have probably done the end links differently and better to save a little money, but I was impatient). Summit Racing carries the stuff. The down side is these items are "universal fit", so there is not direct listing for them (I took the old bushings in and me and the parts guy measured the inside diameter, as my measurement of the sway bar with the caliper couldn't be trusted).

Just so you know, I did not notice much if ANY change (but keep in mind, I was removing old rubber bushings that still looked/felt new).

I want to replace the rear sway bar bushings, but this will require some creativity. The bracket for the rear is held in with one bolt. I either have to modify an aftermarket bracket OR re-use the factory one. I keep wanting to get a pair from the junk yard to goof with and keep forgetting....

Old 03-08-2012, 07:09 AM

I think I can do that with my sway bars, but my problem is that I can't find ball joint boots or tie rod boots, or body mounts, or motor mounts...

Old 03-08-2012, 11:51 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I need to replace the dust boots on my outer tie rods (the joints are fine, but the boots are old and worn out).

I just looked some stuff up between your generation and my generation Monte (there are a lot of parts that are the same, though some shops and site may not let you know).
- You can also do UMI Performance trailing arms with poly bushings (like I did on my Monte, here's the link '04 Monte Carlo SS - UMI Trailing Arms)
- Looks like the transmission mount is the same. ZZP and WBody store sell poly versions of those. Or go to RockAuto.com and for $17 get a solid rubber one.
- Motor Mount, same story as the Trans mount. RockAuto has solid runner mounts for about $20.

On Black Friday, WBody Store has been putting an 8 piece mount kit on sale. Has poly upper dogbone/radiator mount bushings (I think they feel like dense rubber), solid rubber trans and motor mounts and shorter dog bones for $100 shipped (I got in on that to play with the bushings and such on my Monte).

Not really sure there are any upgraded tie rod options.

But, it looks like a lot of these items offered on the 2000-2005 Monte will work on your '99!!

Hope that helps your shopping list a little more