Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

O~O Tire Rotation + Air Pressure O~O

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 05:46 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Thumbs up O~O Tire Rotation + Air Pressure O~O

Tire </CUFONTEXT></CUFON><CUFON style="WIDTH: 93px; HEIGHT: 22px" class="cufon cufon-canvas" alt="Rotation"><CANVAS style="WIDTH: 108px; HEIGHT: 23px; TOP: 0px; LEFT: -2px" width="108" height="23"></CANVAS><CUFONTEXT>Rotation
</CUFONTEXT></CUFON>
<!-- -->
<!-- .clear -->by Pat Goss

Everyone knows to keep their tires rotated, but like most things, there’s a right way and a wrong way. Pat Goss has advice on how often, and in what pattern tires should be rotated.
Have you checked the price of tires recently? They are expensive. So, how would you like to get twice as much ware out of the tires? Well, in most cases you can. That’s by properly rotating the tires on your car.
Now, contrary to what you might hear – proper rotation means that at least two of the tires on your car have to turn in the opposite direction, which means they have to get on the other side of the car. But before we get in how you do that, why is that so important? Well, if we look at this tire, we can see these blocks of rubber; now, as this tire rotates down the road, this edge of this block of rubber hits the road first and it pushes the rubber down and the back edge of it out. Well, that means that the back edge of that block of rubber gets more ware than the front edge. Well, over a period of time, the tire is going to get noisy and you’re going to get an uneven ware pattern along the edge of the tire. To prevent that, you simply turn it in the opposite direction.
Ok, so, what is the proper tire rotation? Well, we’re dealing with a front-wheel drive car so what we’re going to do is, we’re going to take the right front and go straight back to the right rear. Left front is going to go to the left rear; then, the right rear is going to left front and the left rear is going to the right front. We’re ‘x-ing’ the tires that are going on the drive wheel. Now, if you have a rear-wheel drive car, you would reverse that procedure. Now, by getting these tires to rotate in the opposite direction, well, you’re going to even out the tire ware and get longer tire life.
Now, a couple things you should be aware of – you’re going to do this yourself, get yourself a tire crayon and mark the position of the tires on the inside and where you’re going to put them before you take them off so you don’t get ‘em mixed up – that’s what we do in the repair shop.
And the second thing is, and this is especially true if you take your car to a repair shop to have the tires rotated – always use a torque wrench to reinstall the wheels . You see, torque wrenches will prevent warped brake rotors. Air impact wrenches almost always guarantee warped brake rotors . So this can save you a lot of time, a lot of money $ and a lot of aggravation, just like the tire rotation can give you a lot longer tire life.

Hi Member's, how often are you Rotating your Tires ?
Are you doing it different then above Post why `if you do ?

Last edited by Space; 02-24-2012 at 06:34 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:33 AM
Thumbs up

<HEADER class=header>How to Calculate Tire Air Pressure

<!-- google_ad_section_end() --></HEADER><FOOTER class=footer><FOOTER class="AuthorProfileWrap footer">XJered Slusher

<!-- google_ad_section_start() -->Tires that are over- or under-inflated are unsafe, and wear out easier than tires kept at their proper pressure. You've probably seen advice about keeping your tires inflated to the proper psi (pounds per square inch). However, changes in temperature can make it difficult to gauge the optimal psi for your tires, since tire pressure fluctuates with changes in outside temperatures.
Related Searches:<!-- google_ad_section_end() --><SECTION class="Module body FLC"><DL class=difficulty><DT>Difficulty:</DT><DD>Moderately Easy</DD></DL>Instructions

<SECTION><!-- google_ad_section_start() --><SECTION class=thingsYouNeed>
<HEADER>Things You'll Need

</HEADER>
  • Tire pressure gauge
Suggest Edits

</SECTION>
  1. Calculating Optimal Tire Pressure
    • 1Obtain the owner's manual for your vehicle, and check the tire maintenance section for the vehicle's suggested psi rating. The psi rating in the vehicle's manual is based on the manufacturer's test of how tires perform on your specific vehicle.

• 2Check your current tire pressure from a cold reading. A cold reading means checking your tire pressure at a normal 70 degrees without having driven the vehicle recently (see the "Measuring Air Pressure" section).

• 3Find the maximum amount of air pressure your tire can hold by checking the sidewall of your tire. Check all four tires to make sure they all call for the same maximum air pressure.

• 4Record the temperature of the driving conditions your vehicle will be exposed to. For instance, if your car is in a 70-degree Fahrenheit garage, but the outside temperature is 0 degrees Fahrenheit, record the outside temperature.

• 5Use the suggested psi on your owner's manual to calculate the optimal tire pressure based on air temperature. According to AA1Car.com, tire pressure decreases a little over 1/2 pound for every 10-degree Fahrenheit drop in temperature. Add 1 psi for every 10-degree decrease in the driving temperature environment, or subtract 1 psi for every 10 degree increase in the driving temperature environment. For example, if the suggested psi of your tires is 24 psi on a cold reading, and you know that you will be driving in sub-zero temperatures, the 70-degree decrease means you would add 7 psi to achieve an optimal tire pressure of 31 psi.

• 6Inflate your tires to the recommended psi based on your calculations.

Measuring Air Pressure
    • 1Use a crowbar or hubcap remover to remove your wheel's hubcap to reach the tire's valve stem. Place the hubcap in a safe location to the side. (Some vehicles do not require hubcap removal because their tire's valve stems are accessible through the hubcap.)

• 2Check the valve stem for cracks or leaks. Take your tire to a tire maintenance facility to fix the valve stem if it's damaged--do not rely on a pressure reading from a cracked or damaged valve stem.

• 3Take off the valve stem cap. Remove the cap slowly to prevent valve stem damage. Place the cap in a safe place for easy retrieval later.

• 4Place the pressure gauge over the valve stem. The meter stick will blow outward from the gauge if you are using a manual pressure gauge. Wait for a few seconds if you are using a digital pressure gauge.

• 5Remove the pressure gauge from the valve stem. Record the tire air pressure reading. Take another measurement by placing the pressure gauge over the valve stem again. Remove the pressure gauge and record the tire's air pressure again. Take multiple readings to test the reliability of your pressure gauge.

• 6Replace the tire's valve stem cap and repeat the process for all four tires of your car.

</SECTION></SECTION>

Old 02-24-2012, 07:43 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

I always have to rotate front to back & keep em on the same side sence all my tires are directional tires

Old 02-24-2012, 07:50 AM

Hi Mike,
Thanks for your post & pointing that out... I 4-got all about that & I think Pat Goss did 2 ~>
How often do you rotate ? Do you torque your wheels ?
Do you have them High speed balanced ?

Are directional tires more Expensive ?

Old 02-24-2012, 07:59 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

I rotate every other oil change & no i prob should & yup i balance all my own tires in my shop & honestly idk if they cost more or not just happend to end up with em on all my cars lol

Old 02-24-2012, 08:19 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I rotate every oil change. Properly TQ everything to my 100ft/lbs. ESPECIALLY after I have to take the Monte into a shop and I know they removed the wheel.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:42 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

I rotate my tires every time I put my car in gear.

Seriously, I rotate them approx. every 6,000 miles and check tire pressure weekly.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:00 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

I been checking my pressure every week because the temperature changes we have had keeps giving me low tires. I rotate twice a year and give the rims a nice deep cleaning and then tighten them down with the torque wrench. I also like to put a light film of grease in the studs and around the hub to keep things from getting stuck. I started doing this on my old truck because it would always rust up.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:07 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Do you know if the grease affects the TQ rating?

Old 03-06-2012, 03:22 PM

@Chibi: YES.

Quick Reply: O~O Tire Rotation + Air Pressure O~O