Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New struts and WTH?

Old 03-28-2018, 04:26 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default New struts and WTH?

OK, I have my 2002 and I put new struts on the front, Moog replacements for stock and it raised my ride height to where I have about a 4 inch gap in the wheel well. It looks terrible, like a truck or SUV. Not close to stock at all. Anyone else have this problem? This isn't an issue of let the spring settle, this is significant.

Which strut would give me the factory tire clearance?

Old 03-28-2018, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by coolhand View Post
OK, I have my 2002 and I put new struts on the front, Moog replacements for stock and it raised my ride height to where I have about a 4 inch gap in the wheel well. It looks terrible, like a truck or SUV. Not close to stock at all. Anyone else have this problem? This isn't an issue of let the spring settle, this is significant.

Which strut would give me the factory tire clearance?
Not sure you aren't at the factory clearance, I put Monroe's on and have a pretty wicked gap too. The new springs are the reason, I believe. I have 18's so it's something I can live with. You may want to go the lowering route....

Old 03-29-2018, 10:10 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Part number for your replacement?

Have you driven the car at all, just in case it did need to settle?

Old 03-29-2018, 04:41 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

OK, so I did some digging. The stock AC Delco strut part # 903012RS is 20 inches relaxed length. The Moog ST8547 is 22.50 inched relaxed length. Quite a difference and that's what is giving me such a huge wheel well gap. I see the KYB strut part # SR4002, but I can't find the relaxed length dimension for it. I was wondering why when I installed the Moog that I had such a hard time getting the bolt holes to line up with the knuckle. I can see some spring settling but not 2.5 inches.

Old 06-28-2019, 08:04 PM

I originally put those "stock" Delco struts on the front and got about a 2+ inch rise that didn't settle after 2 weeks, so I sent them back and got the KYBs. I've only put the fronts on and have a about a 1 inch rise compared to the current original rears. So I think the rear will match up when the new KYBs go on and not have the "truck look". It does seem like the KYBs are a little firmer than the original Delcos were when it was new. If you look at my photos, you can see the still original rears are lower.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.