Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Springs

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 04:06 PM
Question Springs

Hello I got a 98 Monte Carlo with 150,000 km on it and need to change the Struts, would it help if I replace the front springs also? As what I understand the the rear struts come as a unit,"Struts & Springs" the front is only the strut insert.
I want the best ride I can get with this car as I plan to keep it for a long time.

Thanks for any info,

Kevin

Old 06-26-2012, 07:47 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You should be able to get the front struts with springs or else just go with the spring that matches the strut.

What struts are you planning on for the front and back?

Old 06-27-2012, 06:11 AM
Question Should i change the springs?

Originally Posted by trewyn15
You should be able to get the front struts with springs or else just go with the spring that matches the strut.

What struts are you planning on for the front and back?
Thanks for the reply, I am looking at the Monroe struts, What I've been told on 98 Monte, just the rear struts are Monroe Strut Assembly, All in one. but the front is just a Strut Insert. My question is. should i change the front springs also?, or would they be okay after 150,000 km.?
Also what is a quiet smooth riding tire. I want to get the best, quiet & smooth riding tire out there.?

Thanks for more info?
Kevin

/

Last edited by kevkwas; 06-27-2012 at 07:18 AM. Reason: more info
Old 06-27-2012, 04:59 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

oh I thought it said 150k miles lol at 150k km you should be fine with the stock springs.

are the struts pretty bad? mine are fine and ride like new at 86k miles, so not too far from where you're at.

My personal favorite tire for a smooth and quite ride is the Michelin Hydroedge. My girlfriend has them on her Grand Prix and I love the ride, traction and they don't make any noise whatsoever.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:54 PM

If your replacing all of that you could just do a lowering kit while you are at it. Just replace all struts and springs and drop it an inch. Wont cost extra since you are doing it anyway. Im always one for preventative measures If your there anyway why not replace it before it goes bad.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:16 PM

the front of the car has springs on it as well it just a cartridge type strut used on the fronts. You can get springs off ebay for cheap and lower ur ride in the process

Old 06-27-2012, 09:06 PM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member

I'd take advantage of lowering the car at this point, but that's your decision. Not sure if that's something you want to do, or have thought about doing, but it's definitely a good time to do so.

I just got new struts for mine and am going to pair them with a set of lowering springs. The car has 80k miles on it and, honestly, the ride still feels pretty solid. So at this point, the struts don't really need to be replaced, but I wanted to change it up. Did the same thing to my 03 Monte at 75k miles.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:35 AM
Default Engine now

Originally Posted by trewyn15
oh I thought it said 150k miles lol at 150k km you should be fine with the stock springs.

are the struts pretty bad? mine are fine and ride like new at 86k miles, so not too far from where you're at.

My personal favorite tire for a smooth and quite ride is the Michelin Hydroedge. My girlfriend has them on her Grand Prix and I love the ride, traction and they don't make any noise whatsoever.
Great idea, and the right ball joint was real loose,getting that fixed also.
Wouldn't a Monroe Strut be better than a GM original from 1998?
Okay another question on the 3.1 engine, some morning when engine is cold i get a slight tapping noise or maybe piston slap, it doesn't last long. I had the engine tuned up, new plugs, injector flush and what ever else the dealer does and it helped some, the compression is normal. Is this anything to worry about??

Old 06-28-2012, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by kevkwas
Great idea, and the right ball joint was real loose,getting that fixed also.
Wouldn't a Monroe Strut be better than a GM original from 1998?
Okay another question on the 3.1 engine, some morning when engine is cold i get a slight tapping noise or maybe piston slap, it doesn't last long. I had the engine tuned up, new plugs, injector flush and what ever else the dealer does and it helped some, the compression is normal. Is this anything to worry about??
I always considered Monroe to be equivalent to an OE replacement, and stuff by KYB, Bilstein, etc. to be "better than GM". Maybe that's just me.
And on 3100/3400 engines, it is very common to hear what you describe (a slight ticking noise that fades/disappears after a few minutes). Yes, it's piston slap. Nothing to worry about as long as you let the engine warm up a couple minutes after each start before taking off. Now, if it's NOT silent, or it doesn't go away completely, you likely have an internal problem.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:34 PM
Thumbs up Thanks

Originally Posted by Ixion
I always considered Monroe to be equivalent to an OE replacement, and stuff by KYB, Bilstein, etc. to be "better than GM". Maybe that's just me.
And on 3100/3400 engines, it is very common to hear what you describe (a slight ticking noise that fades/disappears after a few minutes). Yes, it's piston slap. Nothing to worry about as long as you let the engine warm up a couple minutes after each start before taking off. Now, if it's NOT silent, or it doesn't go away completely, you likely have an internal problem.
Okay thanks got it done and i notice a lot improvement in the ride, before there was clunky ride now it smooth.
I had a 89 olds which had piston slap and they changed the engine, might have to contact that dealer again. Thanks for all the help.

Quick Reply: Springs