6th Gen ('00-'05): Need stopping power - Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6th Gen ('00-'05): Need stopping power

Reply

 
 
 
  #1  
Old 11-28-2018, 03:34 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Albuquerque NM
Posts: 25
Default Need stopping power

I'm in am 03 with no ABS or TC, I've already had to make a few emergency stops in the car because this city's drivers are insane...
but pumping the brakes to simulate ABS doesn't seem to work very well, the brakes don't respond quickly. I plan on doing a brake fluid flush although previous owner claimed that was done already.
any other suggestions?
 
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-28-2018, 07:47 PM
The_Maniac's Avatar

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
iTrader: (2)
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mentor, Ohio
Posts: 10,772
Default

First, is your Monte equipped with ABS? Second, if it is, you are not supposed to pump the brake, just keep steady on it. But first you need to know if you have ABS. If you don't have a traction button (to turn traction control on or off) on your center console, it's pretty safe to say you don't have ABS. If you do have ABS, is the ABS light/message active on the instrument cluster?
 
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-28-2018, 08:26 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Albuquerque NM
Posts: 25
Default

Originally Posted by The_Maniac View Post
First, is your Monte equipped with ABS? Second, if it is, you are not supposed to pump the brake, just keep steady on it. But first you need to know if you have ABS. If you don't have a traction button (to turn traction control on or off) on your center console, it's pretty safe to say you don't have ABS. If you do have ABS, is the ABS light/message active on the instrument cluster?
No, I don't have ABS or Traction Control, no traction button and wheels lock immediately without any dash lights. The reason I pump the brakes is that that's what ABS does for you and that's the reason it can stop a car faster.
 
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-28-2018, 08:44 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2009
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,000
Default

Originally Posted by 1st-monte-ls View Post
The reason I pump the brakes is that that's what ABS does for you and that's the reason it can stop a car faster.
The purpose of a pulsing brake on ABS isn't really to stop the car faster though, it's to keep some rotation in the wheels to allow for turning under hard braking. Ill certainly agree that some ABS systems in certain conditions can help stop quicker, but learning the threshold of locking up the tires and staying just under that is nearly as effective.

IMO if you're already easily locking the tires, I'd suggest getting some nicer tires to give you a bigger friction circle and high limits of braking abilities. Beyond that, I'd suggest practicing braking in a safe location so you can learn where the lock up limit is so you naturally don't over push the brakes.
 

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 11-28-2018 at 08:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-28-2018, 09:04 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Albuquerque NM
Posts: 25
Default

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte View Post
IMO if you're already easily locking the tires, I'd suggest getting some nicer tires to give you a bigger friction circle and high limits of braking abilities. Beyond that, I'd suggest practicing braking in a safe location so you can learn where the lock up limit is so you naturally don't over push the brakes.
Okay good idea, first step is probably new tires cause I have 2 or three brands and I've never heard of them, not to mention the curb rash all over them. Thanks guys!
 
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-29-2018, 07:06 AM
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: around cal city,il
Posts: 2,965
Default

Originally Posted by 1st-monte-ls View Post
new tires cause I have 2 or three brands
None are LEAO tires are they?? Those are literal garbage.
 
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-29-2018, 07:38 AM
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: around cal city,il
Posts: 2,965
Default

Double post oops
 
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-29-2018, 01:10 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Albuquerque NM
Posts: 25
Default

Originally Posted by wht02monte View Post
None are LEAO tires are they?? Those are literal garbage.
I'm not sure, I'll look when I get the car back from insurance. They are pretty crap tires though.
 
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-29-2018, 09:28 PM
The_Maniac's Avatar

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
iTrader: (2)
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mentor, Ohio
Posts: 10,772
Default

Sorry, mis-read your first post. Making sure your tires are not worn out AND are a good quality tire, definitely. For a good all-season tire, I have been happy with Kelly brand tires for YEARS. I am not a fan of the BF Goodrich Regatta tires (not sure they are still made). Had a set of those that still had good tread and would not stop good at all during the last winter I had them.
As for the brakes, Bumpin' hit the nail on the head. In addition to be careful about how hard/soft you apply the brake, you need to be careful about pumping the brake. Yes, with non-ABS cars you will need to pump the brake, mostly to release a wheel from being locked up (sliding and not stopping), return rotation to then work on stopping again.

I also want to add, be aware of your following distance. Know how well your car stops and plan for it all times. When you stop behind another car, a good rule of thumb, you should be able to see where that car's rear tires touch the ground. If you cannot, you are too close and not stopping safely.
 
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-29-2018, 11:08 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Albuquerque NM
Posts: 25
Default

Originally Posted by The_Maniac View Post
Sorry, mis-read your first post. Making sure your tires are not worn out AND are a good quality tire, definitely. For a good all-season tire, I have been happy with Kelly brand tires for YEARS. I am not a fan of the BF Goodrich Regatta tires (not sure they are still made). Had a set of those that still had good tread and would not stop good at all during the last winter I had them.
As for the brakes, Bumpin' hit the nail on the head. In addition to be careful about how hard/soft you apply the brake, you need to be careful about pumping the brake. Yes, with non-ABS cars you will need to pump the brake, mostly to release a wheel from being locked up (sliding and not stopping), return rotation to then work on stopping again.

I also want to add, be aware of your following distance. Know how well your car stops and plan for it all times. When you stop behind another car, a good rule of thumb, you should be able to see where that car's rear tires touch the ground. If you cannot, you are too close and not stopping safely.
For sure, my following distance has grown quite a lot, what mostly scared me was sliding through a red light that I would have stopped at easily in my parents car. I just need to learn this new car and y'alls tips will help. Thanks
 
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.