Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Tires/Rims/Suspension (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/tires-rims-suspension-16/)
-   -   6th Gen ('00-'05): Need stopping power (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/tires-rims-suspension-16/need-stopping-power-60376/)

1st-monte-ls 11-28-2018 02:34 PM

Need stopping power

I'm in am 03 with no ABS or TC, I've already had to make a few emergency stops in the car because this city's drivers are insane...
but pumping the brakes to simulate ABS doesn't seem to work very well, the brakes don't respond quickly. I plan on doing a brake fluid flush although previous owner claimed that was done already.
any other suggestions?

The_Maniac 11-28-2018 06:47 PM

First, is your Monte equipped with ABS? Second, if it is, you are not supposed to pump the brake, just keep steady on it. But first you need to know if you have ABS. If you don't have a traction button (to turn traction control on or off) on your center console, it's pretty safe to say you don't have ABS. If you do have ABS, is the ABS light/message active on the instrument cluster?

1st-monte-ls 11-28-2018 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac (Post 715234)
First, is your Monte equipped with ABS? Second, if it is, you are not supposed to pump the brake, just keep steady on it. But first you need to know if you have ABS. If you don't have a traction button (to turn traction control on or off) on your center console, it's pretty safe to say you don't have ABS. If you do have ABS, is the ABS light/message active on the instrument cluster?

No, I don't have ABS or Traction Control, no traction button and wheels lock immediately without any dash lights. The reason I pump the brakes is that that's what ABS does for you and that's the reason it can stop a car faster.

bumpin96monte 11-28-2018 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by 1st-monte-ls (Post 715236)
The reason I pump the brakes is that that's what ABS does for you and that's the reason it can stop a car faster.

The purpose of a pulsing brake on ABS isn't really to stop the car faster though, it's to keep some rotation in the wheels to allow for turning under hard braking. Ill certainly agree that some ABS systems in certain conditions can help stop quicker, but learning the threshold of locking up the tires and staying just under that is nearly as effective.

IMO if you're already easily locking the tires, I'd suggest getting some nicer tires to give you a bigger friction circle and high limits of braking abilities. Beyond that, I'd suggest practicing braking in a safe location so you can learn where the lock up limit is so you naturally don't over push the brakes.

1st-monte-ls 11-28-2018 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte (Post 715237)
IMO if you're already easily locking the tires, I'd suggest getting some nicer tires to give you a bigger friction circle and high limits of braking abilities. Beyond that, I'd suggest practicing braking in a safe location so you can learn where the lock up limit is so you naturally don't over push the brakes.

Okay good idea, first step is probably new tires cause I have 2 or three brands and I've never heard of them, not to mention the curb rash all over them. Thanks guys!

wht02monte 11-29-2018 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by 1st-monte-ls (Post 715238)
new tires cause I have 2 or three brands

None are LEAO tires are they?? Those are literal garbage.

wht02monte 11-29-2018 06:38 AM

Double post oops

1st-monte-ls 11-29-2018 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by wht02monte (Post 715242)
None are LEAO tires are they?? Those are literal garbage.

I'm not sure, I'll look when I get the car back from insurance. They are pretty crap tires though.

The_Maniac 11-29-2018 08:28 PM

Sorry, mis-read your first post. Making sure your tires are not worn out AND are a good quality tire, definitely. For a good all-season tire, I have been happy with Kelly brand tires for YEARS. I am not a fan of the BF Goodrich Regatta tires (not sure they are still made). Had a set of those that still had good tread and would not stop good at all during the last winter I had them.
As for the brakes, Bumpin' hit the nail on the head. In addition to be careful about how hard/soft you apply the brake, you need to be careful about pumping the brake. Yes, with non-ABS cars you will need to pump the brake, mostly to release a wheel from being locked up (sliding and not stopping), return rotation to then work on stopping again.

I also want to add, be aware of your following distance. Know how well your car stops and plan for it all times. When you stop behind another car, a good rule of thumb, you should be able to see where that car's rear tires touch the ground. If you cannot, you are too close and not stopping safely.

1st-monte-ls 11-29-2018 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac (Post 715261)
Sorry, mis-read your first post. Making sure your tires are not worn out AND are a good quality tire, definitely. For a good all-season tire, I have been happy with Kelly brand tires for YEARS. I am not a fan of the BF Goodrich Regatta tires (not sure they are still made). Had a set of those that still had good tread and would not stop good at all during the last winter I had them.
As for the brakes, Bumpin' hit the nail on the head. In addition to be careful about how hard/soft you apply the brake, you need to be careful about pumping the brake. Yes, with non-ABS cars you will need to pump the brake, mostly to release a wheel from being locked up (sliding and not stopping), return rotation to then work on stopping again.

I also want to add, be aware of your following distance. Know how well your car stops and plan for it all times. When you stop behind another car, a good rule of thumb, you should be able to see where that car's rear tires touch the ground. If you cannot, you are too close and not stopping safely.

For sure, my following distance has grown quite a lot, what mostly scared me was sliding through a red light that I would have stopped at easily in my parents car. I just need to learn this new car and y'alls tips will help. Thanks