Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

More and more problems...Need some input

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 07:39 AM
1 Year Member
Default More and more problems...Need some input

Had my 06 LTZ Since November of last year, was perfect through the entire winter, which was rather rough for Indiana lately. Now that the weather has gotten hot, I'm noticing so many issues. Up until this weekend, the list was

1.Upper and Lower Intake manifold gaskets
2.Left Front Hub Assembly
3.Rear Motor Mount

WELL, this weekend I did some rather curvy driving and noticed that the body roll has gotten a lot more noticable as well as clunks coming from the front end when I go over large bumps...so, could I add...

4. Sway bar links

to my list??? Havent gotten underneath it yet but thats just my best guess. What do you guys think? I love getting opinions from all of you, as it greatly widens my scope of thinking!

Old 06-24-2013, 07:55 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

What do you know about the status of your Monte's strut's? Sounds like it could potentially be worn out struts. Are you noticing any unusual tire wear? Struts really effect the way your car holds to the road. Squeaking noises going over bumps? Your list is not really that bad at all. Wish mine was so short.... Good luck on your investigation....

Old 06-24-2013, 08:00 AM

Hi 'VictoryRed,
How many miles on your 06 LTZ with the rare 3.9L 242 HP Monte ?
Most shops will inspect your suspension for free & give you a estimate on what needs to be replaced. If you have a good shop in your area ? > I would take it there & get it inspected + their price IF you think that you can do it, check on the cost of parts & then decide 'if you want to do it or pay out & have a shop do it..> Good Luck 4>sure
Peace >Bum'Mike

Old 06-24-2013, 08:43 AM
1 Year Member

@Zippy- The Noise isnt really a squeak, its more of a pop. It used to just come from underneath the radio stack/passengers footwell, and I attributed that to the busted motor mount (which I know is bad). But this weekend I started hearing a pop noise from the outboard side of the drivers footwell, also the excessive body roll. It only pops once on acceleration and while going over large bumps. As for the struts, they are either the originals, or have been replaced quite a while ago. Last time I Checked there was no leakage on either one, but ill have to check again tomorrow when I have night to myself. Also, yes my list is shorter, BUT your car looks to be a bit more fun than my Daily Driver

@BeachBumMike-i am approaching 112k miles, actually ill probablyhit that on the drive home from work today!! There are a multitude of shops around here, unfortunately ive never used any of them because i do most of my own work and ive never had to mess with the suspension on any of my other cars. I know i could do sway links/bushings, and i could throw in some quick struts if i had to, but if its any deeper than that, id probably take it somewhere because id probably jack up my alignment! I work at a Sears Auto when im in school and get a discount, so if it's something i dont wanna do myself ill probably just wait until august and have the Master Tech there do it for me

Old 06-24-2013, 09:44 AM

Hi Aaron & thanks 4 your reply & what you are going to do. + I hope that you take more pic's of your rare (only year for a Monte Carlo to get the awesome 3.9L engine ) Then you could be eligible for MOTM + we would get to see more of your LTZ
Good Luck on gett'in your Monte the way U want it 2'be
Below is a pic of Space's 06 LT3 Monte with the 3.9L.I got to drive it & loved the power & looks over his 05 LT with a 3.8L > a completely different animal

Peace from >Bum'Mike

Attached Thumbnails More and more problems...Need some input-spacemonte.jpg  
Old 06-24-2013, 11:32 AM
1 Year Member

Yeah I love the feel of my LTZ over my old 05 ls (3.4) and honestly I had no idea they only made the LTZ in 06! Weird that they would keep the 3.9 in the impalas through that year though? Guess it has to do with the MC being phased out... Also, slowly, she is getting where I want her to be, just getting all the little kinks straightened out I'll definitely have to post more pictures up on here once I get her clean (ive neglected that over the past 2 weeks cuz of work...) especially of the interior, thats my favorite part! Good talking to you Mike, havent had many conversations with any of the "Senior Members" yet haha!

Old 07-02-2013, 01:06 PM
1 Year Member

Update-It is the struts. more so the bearing in the mount, so ill be replacing the entire assembly (as im sure it needs it) next month when I go back to school. Thanks for all the help!