Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Lowering my Monte soon. need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 09:19 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

don't get d-bones. i'm lower and no shorter d-bones here for the last 3 years. i'm still on stock struts btw probably gonna change them in the spring.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:26 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- May 2009
15 Year Member

i lowered my monte about a year ago almost to the date, all new suspension with it. Kyb GR2's, eibach springs, anti pogos, new strut mount plates, everything. did the shortened dogbones as well. rode solid for the first 10-12,000. now, things are starting to show wear. more specifically, my struts. If i had to do it again, i'd go with AGX's. yes they are more expensive, but they are struts that can handle the lowering capiblities of these springs. GR2's are stock replacements, gonna die quicker. spend the extra cash and get the AGX's. save your ride quality. also, i found that i couldnt use my shortened dog bones when i installed my headers just an FYI for the future modder. i had to go back to my stock dogbones. i actually dont have any shaking at higher speeds, so its all safe. guess everyone will have their own opinion about this. my car shakes regardless with the poly mounts and other mods anyways. just gotta get used to it.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:40 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2009

Silverbullitt I dont know how you can have no vibration. Our cars are lowered with same springs and stock struts. I went with shorter dogbones off of a Chevy venture van I got out of junk yard for $10. Still have a slight vibration when accelerating between 50 - 60 MPH. That is only time you will have vibration is when you are accelerating. Im also like you my front struts are shot now. When I start driving the car again I am going to replace all 4 struts. Only problem is I cant find rear struts that fit FE4 suspension. All rear stuts i find say except special handling suspension which is the FE4. I did find a web site that says KYB will be making rear struts for our cars in 1st quarter 2010 but I cant find that site again. Also I think I am going to cut 1.3 inches out of my stock dog bones and weld them back together and see if that will get rid of that last little vibration I have.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:05 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2009
2009 Monte Of The Year

i DO have vibration probably a lot more than yours. not only that my exhaust is so loud..lol but i'm so used to it now and doesn't bother me. i have my my 1st and 2nd gear shifting setting not firm, but hard that's why little vibration doesn't bother me. that sound crazy huh, not really. i can't put any coins or any small object in the cup holder console cuz it will drive me crazy with the rattling. loud heavy metal music usually iced everything out!!

i'm going with AGX struts when i do replace my stock struts. see couple intimidator guys running them so i'm pretty sure they will fit.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by 2003supersport
If i had to do it again, i'd go with AGX's. yes they are more expensive, but they are struts that can handle the lowering capiblities of these springs. GR2's are stock replacements, gonna die quicker. spend the extra cash and get the AGX's. save your ride quality.
I was under the impression that Monroe was "stock replacement" and anything by KYB was an optional performance increase, including GR-2s (AGX's being their higher-end). At least that's the case with other Chevys I've owned (Cavalier, Beretta, etc.).

I lowered the Beretta with Eibach springs, KYB GR-2 struts in the front, KYB gas-a-just shocks in the rear, and it's been riding well for 3 years now. No issues with premature wear at all. Then again, that car is lighter. Its 3400 at WOT will spin the wheel (note lack of "s" on the end of that word ) up into 2nd, and yes it's automatic. I'm lucky if I get a "chirp" from the Monte. Perhaps with that extra weight and the different suspension (struts in the rear as well), AGX's would be a better choice for a Monte Carlo? My guess would be GR-2s in the rear and AGXs up front. I'll have to see for myself once I start modding. I gotta sell the other toys first, though.