Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Lowering dilemma today.....need help

Old 10-05-2013, 02:13 PM
Monte Of The Month -- December 2010
Monte Of The Month -- November 2014
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Angry Lowering dilemma today.....need help

So, lowered the Monte today and put in anti-pogos. Front looks great! Back not-so-good. Here is the problem: Lowering springs are physically 1.5 inches shorter than stock. Well, when the lowering springs went in, the gap height is now bigger than the gap with the stock springs. When the front lowering springs got put in, the back gap got even bigger. The stock struts are easy to push in and pull out in the back so we don't know what to do. (We even put 2 of my old tires and wheels in the trunk and she didnt even budge!)I didn't get struts because next year I should be bagging her, so these lowering springs are just temporary till then. Did we miss a step or something? Next thing is checking around to find a place here to do an alignment for a lowered car. Most here are not equipped. Now the lip is so low with the lowering done in the front. Don't want to tear her up. I hope I explained everything properly. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Last edited by Montelicious; 10-05-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:24 PM

A few pics as of right now. Front did great. Still waiting for back to come down.......

Attached Thumbnails Lowering dilemma today.....need help-101_7853-copy.jpg   Lowering dilemma today.....need help-101_7855-copy.jpg   Lowering dilemma today.....need help-101_7860-copy.jpg  
Old 10-05-2013, 03:37 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member

question: i had seen the gap the stock springs leave on the front and back...when i did i thought something wasnt right with the car like something was missing, but i must ask, does lowering affect the ride quality? i think t does but im not really sure

Old 10-06-2013, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by owens91
question: i had seen the gap the stock springs leave on the front and back...when i did i thought something wasnt right with the car like something was missing, but i must ask, does lowering affect the ride quality? i think t does but im not really sure
It has its pros and cons. It lowers your cars center of gravity.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:17 AM

Hi `Lisa,
I'm sorry , that it didn't go right the first time & I hope that one of our member's can give you some help/advice on how they did it...I know that `Matt & several other member's have. Good Luck on getting it the way you want it to `be.

Attached Thumbnails Lowering dilemma today.....need help-lisa-wheel.jpg  
Old 10-06-2013, 09:49 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member

First things first, I would recommend staying away from ebay springs. I say that because I've never seen a pair of ebay springs that lowers these cars correctly as advertised (I remember reading about Frank's). There was also another guy recently that went with ebay springs and had the same problem as you with the high rear end. I researched for mine for like 5 months and went with the Canuck Motorsports (SSC) lowering springs. More expensive than any ebay spring but at least they lower as advertised. Canuck (SSC) and Vogtland are probably the current two most popular lowering springs out for these cars.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:02 AM

"Sadly, sometimes we get what we pay for , and sometimes (many times) we don't

It can `be very frustrating (& expensive) 4-$ure..

`Lisa, wish you good luck on getting `it the way you want it to `be without major costs ($) > Good Luck

Thanks `Matt 4 your words/help

I'm learning to do my homework/research & found it pays to get the best & don't settle for less!!!!!!

Old 10-06-2013, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by 06mistreSS
First things first, I would recommend staying away from ebay springs. I say that because I've never seen a pair of ebay springs that lowers these cars correctly as advertised (I remember reading about Frank's). There was also another guy recently that went with ebay springs and had the same problem as you with the high rear end. I researched for mine for like 5 months and went with the Canuck Motorsports (SSC) lowering springs. More expensive than any ebay spring but at least they lower as advertised. Canuck (SSC) and Vogtland are probably the current two most popular lowering springs out for these cars.

We may end up cutting the back ones. I only need them on till I can hopefully bag her next summer, hence buying the cheaper ones. I love the front. Does anyone know the stock rear spring ratio/rate for my 04 Supercharged Monte? I can't find those specs anywhere.

Old 10-06-2013, 12:07 PM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Montelicious
We may end up cutting the back ones.
I wouldn't really recommend cutting the springs due to the fact that these cars use a pigtail end style coil spring which are designed to make full contact with their mounting points. The ends are a smaller diameter than the rest of the spring so cutting them will completely change the mounting point thus you risk the spring not seating properly in, or altogether working itself off of, the strut spring seat.

Old 10-06-2013, 04:03 PM

Monte is still in limbo as of right now............

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): Lowering dilemma today.....need help