Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Lowering MistreSS

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 09:07 PM

great write up and it looks great!

Old 08-10-2012, 07:00 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks guys!

Originally Posted by Sparky-88
Good job, Matt! Final product looks great. Thanks for all the pic's / lessons learned along the way. I plan to replace struts / springs on our '02 MC in the next year but haven't researched the install procedure yet. With the exception of the problem caused by crappy mounts, sounds like it went pretty smooth for you. I hope I have a similar experience.
Thanks Dave! Other than the mounts, yes it went pretty smooth. Prepping and painting the brake parts took the most time. It's amazing how quick the installation goes with the strut assemblies and getting them mounted on the car. Waiting a few days for my springs plus taking a weekend vacation midway through the project didn't help but once I got the brakes taken care of, getting the struts together and mounted on the car only took me maybe four hours. Also helps that I previously did this same work on my 03 Monte. If you need any advice or whatever with yours when you do it, let me know.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:33 AM

hey gus just wondering i have an 07 monte ss and i was looking to lower mine as well however i have an inclosed sub box with two 12in subs that ways probly around 80-90 pds. im worried that putting the lower springs with the weight of the sub box will make it too low (mabye cause bottoming out?) do any of you guys that lowered your car have subs in your trunk?

Old 08-18-2012, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by 87MONTESS07
hey gus just wondering i have an 07 monte ss and i was looking to lower mine as well however i have an inclosed sub box with two 12in subs that ways probly around 80-90 pds. im worried that putting the lower springs with the weight of the sub box will make it too low (mabye cause bottoming out?) do any of you guys that lowered your car have subs in your trunk?

i believe others on here, have lowered their cars with subs have said that it will cause the car to go a bit lower, over time, with everyday driving and what not. It all depends on what lowering springs you get, i dont know of any types.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:02 AM
10 Year Member

I've got one twelve in a custom box in the trunk and don't have a problem. However, that's only one. I've never weighed the box with the components but I do know it's got some weight to it. It's not light.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:35 AM

ok thanks for the update im probably going to oder the kit within the next month or so i will let you know how i make out. if need be i guess the subs will have to go cause after looking at the pics on this post i fell in love with the lower look lol.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:57 AM
10 Year Member

ok thanks for the update im probably going to oder the kit within the next month or so i will let you know how i make out. if need be i guess the subs will have to go cause after looking at the pics on this post i fell in love with the lower look lol.
No problem. I do love the new stance the drop gives the car. You could always just go down to one sub instead of getting rid of them both altogether. I know that would probably add more work for you but if you still want the bass that would be the way to go, even if you don't do it right away.

I've done struts and springs on both of the Montes I've owned now. If you need any help when you start, or have any questions, let me know.