Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Lowering dilemma today.....need help

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 05:43 PM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by owens91
question: i had seen the gap the stock springs leave on the front and back...when i did i thought something wasnt right with the car like something was missing, but i must ask, does lowering affect the ride quality? i think it does but im not really sure
Lower center of gravity which means better handling, control and maneuverability; (1) less rear squat during acceleration, (2) less brake dive, and (3) less body roll when cornering or turning. Those are the big three. I've lowered both my 03 and 06 Monte Carlos and have been very pleased with the results on both. The suspension is stiffer but not too harsh for being lowered and the car feels more planted to the road. Performance aside, the car's stance is amazing when lowered.

Old 10-06-2013, 06:04 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 06mistreSS
Lower center of gravity which means better handling, control and maneuverability; (1) less rear squat during acceleration, (2) less brake dive, and (3) less body roll when cornering or turning. Those are the big three. I've lowered both my 03 and 06 Monte Carlos and have been very pleased with the results on both. The suspension is stiffer but not too harsh for being lowered and the car feels more planted to the road. Performance aside, the car's stance is amazing when lowered.
Do you mean like the steering wheel feels more stiff?

Old 10-06-2013, 07:43 PM
10 Year Member

Do you mean like the steering wheel feels more stiff?
No, the ride feels more stiff; some would describe it as a rougher ride. Since the lowering springs drop the cars ride height, the strut's piston travel decreases. That means there's less give over bumps, etc. so you feel more of the road through the suspension.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:48 PM
10 Year Member

Oo..... don't like bumps

Old 10-07-2013, 08:23 AM

lol reading this convo has made me lol. Esp with owens "oooh dont like bumps". Imo monte I like how it looks lowered for some reason, the butt of the car looking a little higher than the front. I wanna lower my 07, but I feel the fear of snow, and I'd hate to swap between right before winter. It doesnt get back, but when it does, idiots here cant drive..And if my older monte with rims plows through snow, I can only imagine how this one, with more power and stock tires will do...ugh.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:01 AM
10 Year Member

Some of you guys think lowering is going to make for a super bumpy ride. All I can say is the ride quality I've had on both my Montes is nice for being lowered. It's definitely a stiffer ride but it's not so harsh like those boys with their Civics bouncing around like their car is a theme park ride. Yes you have to be more aware of where/how you drive since the car is lower to the ground. My 03 was a daily driver and I lowered it and had absolutely no issues. Granted my 03 dropped less than my 06 (~1.2" drop w/Eibach vs. ~1.7" drop w/Canuck respectively) but still.

Lowering the 00-07 Monte Carlo with typical lowering springs isn't going to result in super harsh ride quality. Like I said, it's nice for being lowered. That's my opinion.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:24 PM
Monte Of The Month -- December 2010
Monte Of The Month -- November 2014

Originally Posted by 06mistreSS
Some of you guys think lowering is going to make for a super bumpy ride. All I can say is the ride quality I've had on both my Montes is nice for being lowered. It's definitely a stiffer ride but it's not so harsh like those boys with their Civics bouncing around like their car is a theme park ride. Yes you have to be more aware of where/how you drive since the car is lower to the ground. My 03 was a daily driver and I lowered it and had absolutely no issues. Granted my 03 dropped less than my 06 (~1.2" drop w/Eibach vs. ~1.7" drop w/Canuck respectively) but still.

Lowering the 00-07 Monte Carlo with typical lowering springs isn't going to result in super harsh ride quality. Like I said, it's nice for being lowered. That's my opinion.
Well put.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member

ooo dont get me wrong now, i think it does look better than stock but me personally.....wouldnt do to much good...put it this way, i dont slow for speed bumps, so that would be bad for me

Old 10-08-2013, 07:13 AM

ooo dont get me wrong now, i think it does look better than stock but me personally.....wouldnt do to much good...put it this way, i dont slow for speed bumps, so that would be bad for me
Crazy driver alert lol

Old 10-09-2013, 12:02 AM

you can always send pics to the supplier you purchased them from and complain that your not happy with the results. Honestly I had that happen to me once. I ordered (what was advertised online) a BRAND NEW A1Cardone axle but ended up being a reman axle that was poorly packaged. I called up cust serv. and they returned my money and let me keep the axle.. I guess what I'm trying to say is,.. your the customer.. if the customer is not happy.. the supplier should be the first to hear from you and resolve your issue.. and plus.. they wouldnt want to sacrifice their rep for an incident like yours.. I'm sure theyll refund your money and maybe the labor??? maybe.. good luck

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): Lowering dilemma today.....need help