Tires/Rims/Suspension Discuss your tires, rims, and your suspension system in here.

Looking for some new wheels.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 07:35 PM
Default Looking for some new wheels.

Hey guys, I need some help with my wheels. I got my monte about 2-3 months ago, and I'm in the process of getting a spoiler on, took the side-striping off, (looks much better) and want some new wheels. Mine are SSC (They dont even have a website) and they are chrome spiral 10 spoke. I hate them. They detract so much from the beauty of the monte, and they contrast too much. The tires I have on are fine, I guess, for being sears brand tires. My question is, since my current SSC wheels are 17", if I were to get a set of 18" wheels, would I need to change the tires also? (To give you an idea of what kind of wheels I want on my monte, the one at the top of the page has a nice set on.)

Anyone with suggestions to which brands to go for are just that much more helpful! I hope to have them on soon, but the spoiler sure drained me for right now. Pictures are inevitable when I get this thing complete. Exhaust kit coming later, I hope.

EDIT:

Ewwww, I found them, My worst fears have been realized. They are sears wheels.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...p;sName=Chrome

I hope now you understand my situation. Help!

Old 05-04-2008, 07:40 PM
Default RE: Looking for some new wheels.

yes you would need new wheels, 17" tires cannot fit on a 18" wheel. and try out www.tirerack.com for options

Old 05-04-2008, 07:45 PM

ORIGINAL: scc24540

yes you would need new wheels, 17" tires cannot fit on a 18" wheel. and try out www.tirerack.com for options
Okay, cool. Thanks man.

One last question, is 17" the median tire/wheel size? Should I bump it up an inch or two?

Old 05-04-2008, 07:46 PM

u got it

Old 05-05-2008, 07:44 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hey! Welcome to the site!

What year is your car?

For 1995 up Monte Carlos, I believe the average stock rim was 16". But had an optional 17" rim. So 17's are designed to fit with no issues at all. There are a lot of people who have 18's with no major issues. And a couple people I know have 20's, but they've told me they do have the occasional tire rub when hitting large bumps and stuff like that.

You'd definitely have to buy 18" tires if you bought 18" rims. You could always sell the SSC rims with the tires on them to help pay for your new rims and tires.I've seen rims similar to your SSC on Buick's, and Chrysler's luxury cars.

The rims on the Monte Carlo at the top of the screen is the "17 inch Diamond-Cut Cast-Aluminum Wheel" which came factory equipment on the 2004-2005 Supercharged SS Monte's, and also the 2004 Intimidator edition Monte. Plus a few other Monte editions I may be forgetting.

Like Chris (SCC24540) said, tirerack.com is a good place to get some ideas. Their site has a feature where you tell them what make, model, year and color of car you have. Then you can choose rims you like, and they will show you a picture of what your car would look like with that rim installed.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:09 PM

ORIGINAL: Taz

Hey! Welcome to the site!

What year is your car?

For 1995 up Monte Carlos, I believe the average stock rim was 16". But had an optional 17" rim. So 17's are designed to fit with no issues at all. There are a lot of people who have 18's with no major issues. And a couple people I know have 20's, but they've told me they do have the occasional tire rub when hitting large bumps and stuff like that.

You'd definitely have to buy 18" tires if you bought 18" rims. You could always sell the SSC rims with the tires on them to help pay for your new rims and tires.I've seen rims similar to your SSC on Buick's, and Chrysler's luxury cars.

The rims on the Monte Carlo at the top of the screen is the "17 inch Diamond-Cut Cast-Aluminum Wheel" which came factory equipment on the 2004-2005 Supercharged SS Monte's, and also the 2004 Intimidator edition Monte. Plus a few other Monte editions I may be forgetting.

Like Chris (SCC24540) said, tirerack.com is a good place to get some ideas. Their site has a feature where you tell them what make, model, year and color of car you have. Then you can choose rims you like, and they will show you a picture of what your car would look like with that rim installed.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide.
Thanks!

Mine is an '02 Monte LS. I have been thinking hard about it, and calling around town. It will take some luck (which I have not had any so far) to get a shop that will buy my current wheels from me to help me pay off the next set. I do love the rims on the monte on the front page, if I can get something similar to that, I'd be happy.

So, one last question, I understand now that moving up an inch would need a new set of tires, but what if I went down? Would that work? (sorry for the repetitive questions, its my first time dealing with tires and wheels )

I love these rims, and would kill to have a set of these on my monte, so thats why I'm asking.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...05085U10N.html

If anything, I might just have to man up, and pay shipping and ebay most of my stuff to get some new wheels.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:22 PM

a 17" tire will only fit a 17" wheel. and if you're wanting stock wheels that bad look through the forsale ads on thsi site or check junkyards, will be ALOT cheaper that way

Old 05-06-2008, 12:10 AM

Monte Of The Month -- May 2011
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

the wheels you like are for sale by a mymonte member here:

http://mymonte.com/discussion/index.php?showtopic=24203

Old 05-06-2008, 06:12 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

ORIGINAL: Enemyofreali7y

Thanks!

Mine is an '02 Monte LS. I have been thinking hard about it, and calling around town. It will take some luck (which I have not had any so far) to get a shop that will buy my current wheels from me to help me pay off the next set. I do love the rims on the monte on the front page, if I can get something similar to that, I'd be happy.

So, one last question, I understand now that moving up an inch would need a new set of tires, but what if I went down? Would that work? (sorry for the repetitive questions, its my first time dealing with tires and wheels )

I love these rims, and would kill to have a set of these on my monte, so thats why I'm asking.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...05085U10N.html

If anything, I might just have to man up, and pay shipping and ebay most of my stuff to get some new wheels.

Just checking to make sure you're aware, thewheel you posted a link to is not the same as the wheel on the car at the top of the page.

Here's a better picture of what the car at the top of the screen looks like:

The tires have to be the same size as the wheel. 17" wheel needs a 17" tire. 16" wheel needs a 16" tire. And so on.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:59 PM

if you want a set of the 17 inch diamond cut wheels i might be changing mine here soon. i have 05 supercharged the wheels look really good.